Latest Project - Tobor the Great

Brian..

Here's the improved version of Tobor, complete with more authentic feet. I just need to add those strange angled hinges to the arms and legs. The print is higher resolution and I've left it unpainted, apart from those shoulder joints. It's much smoother than the original version and will come up well when primed and painted.

This has been a very pleasant build.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers, Brady.  Here are some close ups. After John's challenge I had to improve those feet. I couldn't use my standard design so I had to completely rebuild them. Notice the little dome addition - this is an unusual robot!.

Once I have the parts printed this is an absolute pleasure to assemble. The only fiddly part is the wiring. 

I've shipped the Iron Fireman last week, I'm continuing to tinker with the Man of Steel so that it meets acceptable standards. If it won't walk reliably I just won't send it. It has caused me many problems and made me alter the design of future robots. The new motors arrived but then the balance problem emerged.  I'm sorry if you're still waiting but I just have to get it right.

Tobor, however, is a solid little build - 34cms or 13 inches tall. It slips together beautifully and walks like a charm.

So if you want to put your name down for one, leave a reply or message me or email me at alphadrome@gmail.com . If my machines don't break down again I should be able to start shipping the first of them within 4 weeks. My wife demands a trip to Norway so I'm out of action for a week. Are there any Norwegian space toys? Any collectors in Stavanger or Eidfjord or Arundal?

Price as seen (assembled, walking, lighted eyes) $120 plus postage. I'll offer a cheaper kit version (motorised or static) if there's demand. I don't charge for the design time - about two weeks solid work. The cost is for materials, printing costs, build time and vast quantities of real ale. The plastic is higher quality silver PLA and the print resolution is superior, so the prints take a long long time to complete.  If I break even I'll be a happy bunny.

tob1.jpgIMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4069.JPGIMG_4071.JPG

The dome was made using a dental vacuum forming machine. I designed a mould of the dome then printed it in PLA. I built a bed that the mould could lie on inside the vacuum machine. The bed has holes in it to allow the air to be drawn out from around the dome mould.

My first attempt was with PETG plastic but it turned white, spoiling the effect. I obtained dental grade plastic and it worked a charm. It is an expensive material but it is great quality.

198.jpg

It turned out very nicely!  Thanks for the explanation.

I can only imagine the possibilities that are opening up in your mind...  :thumbs:

Brian, you have my PM. BTW, even if the Man of Steel doesn't pan out, since I sort of helped design it, I would like one anyway...wobbly or not, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The first robot and science fiction on TV that I remember ever seeing was TOBOR the Great , when  I was about 5 to 6 years old I think.

So this robot is my number one robot and I have been a robot and science fiction fan ever since .   New member  Russrob

Welcome, Alan. I'm just doing the eye wiring and thinking about the boxes. The eyes on the original are seriously weird:

eyes.jpg

Brady, I think I've solved the Russian walking problem and you will have one soon!

Is it too late to get in on this? I haven't kept up with this thread for some reason. But I have no tobor of any kind in my collection and would like one.

How much for one of these? Never mind...I just saw the $120 price listed above. Yes, I am definitely in for one. Let me know when to pay you.

Archived