Latest Project - Tobor the Great

Brian..

Well, the Iron Fireman is shipping this week and the motors for the Russian robot have arrived after sitting in customs for ages. That means I'll have everything promised on its way at last. If I were a business I'd be bankrupt. I can't apologise enough for my absolute inertia at times.

So I won't feel too guilty if I give a sneak preview of one of the designs that has been keeping me busy recently. Tobor. Not quite complete, but 95% there. I must confess that this is the one that I've always dreamt of creating, but I've only just reached the stage where I can get close. This robot revealed the limitations of Designspark Mechanical, my CAD program. I've started teaching myself Fusion 360 so that I can make designing easier.  

Tobor is an awkward shape and that enormous head makes balance tricky.  He's battery operated and may have lighted eyes - they would be an easy addition. I had to buy a vacuum moulding machine to create the dome. The feet are absolute compromises: I could have designed accurate roller skate ones, but he just would not stand up without great big plates of meat. I guess I could supply scale ones for those who would like a static model. The plastic has the usual light graining that you see on all current 3D prints but it would easily take a sand/primer/paint finish that would look first rate. There are new resin based machines that offer a much better finish but they're messy, expensive and rather toxic.

Sorry, I daren't take any requests until I have met all current obligations! But he won't be too expensive.

TOBOR.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vacuum moulded helmet looks very nice.  

I can't even imagine all the possibilities that new equipment is allowing your mind to consider.

Brian I love all your work.

Let me get the Man of Steel then pay you before I commit.

Mind you if I order a Tobor now would it be just right for Christmas.:ohmy:

Your slow turnover suits my slow funds .:biggrin:

On a technical note have you ever experimented with weights in the feet of your creations.

24 minutes ago, Sparkrobot said:

Your slow turnover suits my slow funds .:biggrin:

No orders for this one yet, chaps.  :lecture:  Continents move faster than I do.

Weights don't really help. The geometry has to be right and one millimetre can be the difference between walking and falling.

Now that will be a memorable project Brian. No rush but I am sure i would like one. Also can't wait to receive the Iron Fireman!

I was able to make my scale Tobor walk with proper feet so many years ago Brian so I am sure you can too.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/ToborWalking.html

remote control unit in scale.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/ToborRemoteScale.html

full scale and small scale.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/ToborScalePage.html

So many use that Fusion 360 program, I may have to give it a go as well. We may have to start a 3d cad area of this web site so we can talk about using these programs and shair what we learn.

Archived