New Robot Commando ,thunder Buster

robothut

Thunder Buster has 2 LEDs on the spinning antenna, Alternatly flashing Eye lights, strobing light in the battle damaged hole in body, Blue gun lights in hands, stobeing lights in the legs to light up the battle damage holes and a Camouflage paint job. I added punched rivet details to the face area and there is a smoking unit inside that lets smoke seep out all the body holes as the robot walks. Don't use cheep batterys with this guy, he is power hungry!

post-2-1048199753_thumb.jpg

This is the back side view.

To build one you first must strip the thunder down. Then punch in the rivet details. Next you can not just hit the metal parts with a hammer to dent and puch holes as you would do more damage to parts of the metal and that would keep the robot from working when your done. So use a torch to heat the metal red hot then you can press in the areas that you want dented with out screwing up areas that you don't want dented. Use a welding torch to melt the holes where you want them. now your ready to paint the camouflage base coat on. Start with the light tan color. Then use an air brush to apply the 4 other colors.

post-2-1048200139_thumb.jpg

This is the left side view. Here you can see the battle damage to the arm bellows and the hydraulic piston on the inside. Also I added rivet details to the shoulder.

post-2-1048200279_thumb.jpg

Wow. wowowowowow. That's awesome, John. Your attention to detail really shows on this one. It really makes me think of a movie miniature or something. This robot's screaming to be put into some sort of futuristic battle scene.

Though one has to wonder... if this were real, how much good would the camo paint really do? I mean, this monster's not sneaking up on anything... If a giant Thunder is coming for you, you're going to know it!

Was this damaged before you took your blow torch to it?

Well no more damaged than any JT Thunder. here is front view (power off)with better lighting so the rivet detals show up.

post-2-1048202706_thumb.jpg

That is awesome John. Do the LEDs on the Antenna work? If so, how do you run the wiring? I am working on customizing my JT and should have some pictures next week. again, excellent work! :D

Yes both LEDs light up, I built a commutator to get power to the antenna so that it can still spin yet supply power to the LEDs, sort of like what is already in the Thunder so the light that spinns around inside the body can work.

if this were real, how much good would the camo paint really do? I mean, this monster's not sneaking up on anything...

Hey, it's standard government-issue... Army gear that never even sees action gets a camoflage paint job. Army office supplies get a camoflage paint job... Heck, I've seen Army golf bags painted camo...

This is what makes robot collecting Great Fun...Why in the world haven't all the repro makers figured out they could do MUCH better making ORIGINAL designs like this ?? AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME job JR

John,

could you throw a video up on your site of this thing in action? I know a town in Ohio it could destroy for added realism! :D

What's really funny is: 50 years from now someone will be lamenting what a great toy this would have been if only someone had not played with it so hard!

Nice job John!

I couldn't help smiling when I saw your pictures.

Reminds me of those days when I did a lot of Airfix, Tamiya, Monogram, Revell etc.

After painstaking airbrushing for the camo jobs, I'd get bored and start punching

holes, and burning em for that "battle scarred" look. If only I kept all those models,

I could send you the lot for a "future war diorama" with that bombed out Thunder

as a centerpiece!

Sorry Guys,

I think this is not a good painting for a Thunder- Robot or for other Robots on this Planet.

My first Thinking was ohh Cool robot, but after a while ... I think you know what I mean....

Volker

Archived