Golden Gear Horikawa repair Robodude's new project,?

Martian Gil

No doubt about it--He is awesome at getting these old robots going--This didn't work at all when I got it. Spent about 2 hours cleaning and 1 small solder job and now everything works!!  Not bad for $59.00 !!!:thumbs:

As far as i can recall there are truely two color variations of golden gear robot.

One has a more flat gold color, same as the backdoor, the other a bright almost metallic gold color of the body while door and feet are same as the other version.

I have no proof because I have only one version in my collection.

It is more different than only color fade or slight color variation.

This is also described in the robotapedia files, a good source for Horikawa information which describes this as second run version also with different inner mechanism.

It also describes that the color difference comes from litho print and paint process

Hope the links are working

http://www.attackingmartian.com/goldengear.html

http://www.attackingmartian.com/goldengear2.html

Thanks very much Gernot--I guess I have the flat gold colored one--not as bright and shiny as the other--Thanks for sharing those links and your input!!

2 hours ago, Dirk said:

Nevertheless - I guess Kirk will make a nice looking robot out of it!

Ha!  :)    thanks Dirk, but this pne is all Rich's to play with.  

If he were mine, I'd be tempted to add him to my clunker parade.  :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Robodude / Rich sent me a couple pics of his Golden Gear, cleaned up with a custom crown.

He also sent a vid of him running, but the format wouldn't post properly for me.

Well get that straightened out, but in the meantime - he wanted me to share the progress he made.

Cheers all,

photo.JPG

photo-5.JPG

Thanks for posting this Kirk!!!  Yes, I had to fabricate a new "hat" as I didn't have a retaining ring for the dome-you can get great reproduction domes on Ebay(Nimrod makes them!) but I didn't have the metal retaining ring to hold it in place. The hat is made from a painted closet door handle and the green part is from a litebrite peg set. It transmits the light pretty well. As Kirk had said, I made a short video of the robot in action, When I figure out how to post it I will put it up! I borrowed parts for the gears and clear chest plate from my original engine robot and I have replacements for those coming from Australia. I wanted to get it together and put it into action! What do you think???  I know its not stock, but I only paid 59.00 for the robot and I thought the hat was a good compromise for not having parts(the metal ring)  Thanks again Kirk for posting this! Rich

• Brian.. changed the title to Golden Gear Horikawa repair Robodude's new project,?

Archived