Flash Gordon Signal Ray

dratomic

great buy Doc - definately your deal of the month! Fineas J Whoopee's description of your winning moment was hilarious! But it really is a good feeling to win something at what you thought would be an impossibly low price. I also look forward to your "after" photos. Keep us posted! :P

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem, of course, is that I have absolutely no idea how to clean the thing without removing paint or rusting the metal. I'm hoping it'll be a simple matter of removing dust and crud. And the bare-metal parts shouldn't be too tough -- some really fine steel wool, I guess. Obviously, I won't be able to do much about the play wear. (And I'd rather leave it looking used -- i.e., vintage -- than touch up the paint.)

If anyone's got good suggestions, I'd love to here them...

The paint looks solid enough to withstand a light polish with T- Cut, should get rid of the surface dirt without harming the paint. I wouldn't normally use it on robots but the pistol looks to be thicker paint.

I would recommend Novus II fine scratch remover. It works great on painted surfaces at removing dirt and grime as well as polishing the paint surface. I have even used it on litho- it cleans and shines without damaging the surface. Of course it is a polish, so there is some very, very minor surface removal, in the same way that you see some paint color on the rag when you wax and buff your car.

T-Cut is used to brighten up old cellulose paint or similar in the automotive trade over on our side of the pond (England). After reading Roberts description of "Novus II fine scratch remover" it works exactly the same way. I am sure that Novus isn't as harsh. As always test on the smallest least obstrusive area. I agree with MRH- the paint might be thicker than normal and it is perhaps a lead based enamal. Certainly the dark marks look like dirt and grease to me. I would start with rubbing alcohol before any scratch remover.

Good luck!

HW-K

Brian,

Just been thinking. Apart from cleaning with Lux flakes and water applied using cotton buds I go to £ shops in England and buy perfume (cost £1.00). Smells awful (TARTY PERHAPS!) but used as a cleaner it attacks lots of things and then evaporates. My knowledge comes from its use on in early Dinky Toys. I suspect that the finish on your gun is a similar lead based paint. As always use a lint free white cloth to check if excess colour is being removed.

Good luck

HW-K

Very funny HW-K, is there another particular reason apart from the alcohol content of the perfume to use it? I am thinking that maybe is less humiliating to use some whisky or cognac for that purpose... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Well... here's an "after" pic. I first tried using novus to clean it up. It didn't do a whole heck of a lot. So... very carefully... VERY CAREFULLY... I used super-duper fine steel wool and a VERY light touch. Needless to say, this took the grime right off. I tried it on a patch of paint located under the top bare metal plate first -- seemed the safest move. There was no appreciable paint loss, so I continued. I went very slowly, being careful to achieve an even level of color. I didn't want to go too far and start taking more than the barest layer of paint off.

Anyway, it seemed to do the trick. And it took the gunk off the bare metal parts (which are supposed to be chrome, but whatever). All in all, I think it looks a lot better. Not mint, certainly, but merely "aged," as opposed to "grody." For $163, I'll take it. :)

post-2-1107498695.jpg

Looking good Dr. A!

I agree, this is one of the breast deals you've ever gotten.

uh..BEST deal...I meant best deals you've ever gotten!!! :D

I agree Doc, looks much better. You've taken something quite tatty and made it look 100% better ...a case of...tit for tat! :) Did that thing come with a holster? ..or a bra! badda bing! ok, enough now. I'll grow up someday.

Does this have the same decal on both sides? is one side better than the other? oops! wait, the siren mechanism is on the other side, never mind!

Looks great Doc!

Hey, what's the going price on a Hubley Atomic Disintegrator? I was researching the Hubley company and saw that one on your site. I'm seriously digging it! You mentioned that they were sort of common but I'm not currently seeing anything on ebay.

Looks great Doc!

Hey, what's the going price on a Hubley Atomic Disintegrator? I was researching the Hubley company and saw that one on your site. I'm seriously digging it! You mentioned that they were sort of common but I'm not currently seeing anything on ebay.

Andyman-

If you really want to take the plunge there is a nice boxed example on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Archived