Flash Gordon Signal Ray

dratomic

I just picked up this Marx Flash Gordon Signal Gun (also called Siren Gun), ca. 1930s (though some have said Fifties -- which looks doubtful, given the toy's shape and steel gauge). I managed to win it for $163 (including shipping and insurance). I'm pretty damn happy; I've regularly seen C8 and better examples go for $700 - $900, and even one that sold for parts hit $300 or so about a year ago. I fully expected this one to sell for at least $500...at least. Very strange, though I'm certainly not complaining! The paint and bare metal parts are a bit rough, but I'm pretty sure it'll clean up nicely once I get my hands on it. And the oft-missing Flash Gordon decal is mostly in place. When I've spiffed it up a bit, I'll post some "after" pictures if there's any appreciable improvement.

The toy also came in reverse red/green and periwinkle/blue (green?) variations. I think the gun perfectly captures the Thirties science fiction design aesthetic. Some have said it looks like a rocket; other claim it looks like an armored alien breast. Either way, that's a pretty science fictional piece of hardware...

flash.jpg

This is actually my second killer ray gun purchase for the new year. I don't have a good picture of the first one yet, so it'll have to wait. It's a very rare plastic piece, one I never expected to get...

The lesson here, collector friends, is never count yourself out when it comes to rare toys. You never know what might fall in your lap if you just keep looking.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scene: New York City, Saturday night hotspot. Among the urban hipsters hanging out there is at least one junky. Like all other junkies he cant take his mind off of that next possible fix. It's a longshot he knows, but he's got to try! Our hero steels away, out onto the street away from the crowd to make a desperate call on his cell phone.......

"Hello"... "Hi, Donald this is Brian".... "Oh, hey Brian what's up?"... "Well,...heh...I was wondering if you could do me a favor"..... "Shure doc, what can I do ya for?".... "Could you go online and check out the result of an auction for me?".... "Yeah sure, what cha bid on?"... "Well I put in a Hail Mary bid on a Flash Gordon Signal raygun and I know there's no way I'm going to win, I just want to know how much it went for and who won it"....."clickity clickity click click"..... "Here it is....you won!" "Are you kidding me?".... "I'm not kidding you won it for $150.00"............."HOLY CRAP!!!!!"............"NO WAY!!!!!!!"..... "Yes way"........"HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!"

So if you think you have a problem with robots and spacetoys, just think of 'ol Dratomic who can't even wait to get to a computer to find out if he's won an auction! :D

Congratulations again Doc!

There is a real lesson to be learned from the good Dr. here - simply you just never know. I have made the unfortunate mistake of staying out of auctions I just knew I didn't have the resources to win - only to find the item went for far below where I thought it would end up. Sometimes one just gets lucky.

Congratulations Brian on a real neat find and one that is important for you!!!!

FJW doesn't lie. Sadly, he's not even exagerating. "Hello, my name is Doctor Atomic. I'm a space toy collector. And I need help."

Yeah -- help at winning more auctions!

:) Dratomic, congratulations on winning that one at a great price! I was watching the last few minutes of that one, cheering you on, and and, also I was glancing at the Daisy Liquid Helium, but I'm not bidding on ray guns now, just looking. That is really cool, -Larry 7

This is amazing, my son gave me the book 'Blast Off' for Christmas and just happened to notice in the Flash Gordon section a Marx Signal pistol

which I never seen before. I'm not really a collector of space guns but thought this one looked good. Here's the one featured in the book.

Dr A, nice find.

post-2-1105453318.jpg

Great pick up Doc...CONGRATULATIONS !!!

What does the trigger do...Is is a Pop gun,

or a sparker, or ???

Also, it seems like I've seen this gun without

the Flash Gordon logo...Am I remembering

incorrectly, or did Marx sell it in various

incarnations over the years ??

MRH -- yeah, that's a mint one. I somehow doubt I'll be able to clean mine up quite so much...

Robobob -- The gun makes a siren noise when you pull the trigger. There's an opening in the body on the other side of the toy; you can see the siren mechanism (sort of). When it shows up, I'll post some pics.

Marx made another version of the toy, this one called (I think...) the Air Raid gun. It's red with blue accents, and the decal's an American Flag or something. It's possible this came out right after WWII (once the restrictions on metal use were lifted). I'm just guessing, though.

The toy's often missing the decal, so it's possible you've seen one without. Or maybe you've seen one from the other side, in which case, the gun would show the siren opening (which looks KIND OF like a speaker... in a vague sort of way). I'm not sure if they made some version without a decal in the first place, though it's certainly possible.

Dr A, any tips on cleaning would be very much appreciated by this Flash Gordon fan! Can't wait to see how well it cleans up.

HW-K

Robobob -- The gun makes a siren noise when you pull the trigger. There's an opening in the body on the other side of the toy; you can see the siren mechanism (sort of).

Ah yes...

That would explain you calling it

a siren gun in your first post.

Sometimes the obvious stuff eludes me...

Archived