3D printer parts reproduction

ROBODUDE

Does any one know if vintage robot parts could be reproduced by scanning them and then reproducing them with a 3d printer ? The tolerences would have to be pretty precise, but I was wondering if it could be done. I have a cragstan ranger robot with a complete battery box cover and a magnor robot without one--Could I scan the one and reproduce it on a printer for the magnor?  Thanks in advance for any replies--Rich

Certainly you could do this. It's a sharp learning curve but you can produce remarkably precise parts. Marco is already producing reproduction antennas.

Of course, if you can use a CAD program you don't need to scan, so you don't need an original part.

Howdy Brian!  Thanks for your replies--I think I will pursue this further-Have a great week !   Rich

Marco has a good scanner and recently scanned arms to fix up a bot. There are some great new scanners out starting at about $1200.00 too $2400.00 that do a fantastic job, they merg all the files do the clean up and give you a stl file ready to print. But I do not have one or plan to have one, not realy into scanning and reproducing, I like to create original stuff. But yes it can and is being done.

Thanks John ! Seems like there would be a decent market for replacement parts-there are a couple of places that sell replacement parts, but the selection is limited and they are very pricey !!!

Archived