Save your flints on wind up toys!

Fineas J. Whoopie

OK so you just acquired a vintage sparkling toy or you are operating a toy you have had for years but haven't played with for a while.

You give the healthy wind up mechanism a good two or three winds and let her rip. If you are lucky enough to have a toy that still sparks you thrill to the sparks behind the gel.

But - who knows how much of that flint is left? Once I see that a toy still sparks I turn the toy upside down so that gravity pulls the flint away from the spark wheel to save the flint while the mechanism winds down. This practice may make the difference if  the toy still sparks if you go to sell it in the future.

Thanks for that Fin, and just as a matter of interest, does anybody take a vintage robot or other space toy apart to replace a flint, I am often tempted but then decide to leave it as it is. Although it is a pleasure to see the sparks flying.:scratchhead:

I have replaced flints or fixed mechanisms - but only if the toy needed other attention.

I havent opened one to just do do the flint alone - I think there a a couple threads by Racer & Ultrarobotman floating here and there.

Archived