Masudaya Sonic, repair and clean up.

Martian Gil

https://youtu.be/1VjHTbyCMyQ

Here is my finished project - sort of...  I still need to locate the proper wheel for the bump and go action. 

The one that I used for testing is a little small in diameter - and the axle hole is a little too large, so there was some slipping - that's why the Sonic was just limping along...   Thankfully, when he's put together, the high pitched whistle is muted a bit.    It also might be that since he was struggling with the wrong wheel that he was having a power drop....?

... I don't suppose anyone just has that proper wheel laying around - or would be interested in removing one from your Sonic?   :eeek:

Fantastic robot!   - very cool to work on.   I saved photos when I thought of it, but I won't load them all.   If anyone needs a specific shot, let me know and I'll see if I can help.  

John and Robert, thanks for your combined advice.    

John - Robert and I learned of another difference in the Sonic versions that might help identify the whistle versions.

Robert's Sonic has the "train" gated whistle box.    It also has two screws on each side of the robot - in addition

to the one behind his head and two on the bottom.   So, Roberts has a total of 7 screws.  

My slide whistle version has a total of 5 - the difference being that this was designed with only one screw for each side.   John, I'll add this little note to your "two version Sonic" thread.

Cheers all, 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Patience paid off - I found a choo choo willing to be a donor for the clipped battery compartment.

This week, I hope to get a chance to switch the out and get his bulb flashing properly.  

I'd say "hoot hoot", but whistle is much more annoying.

Cheers!

20170806_125007.jpg

Thanks go out to John and David - for advice on finishing this big guy.

I left the original, old & abused, but repaired battery box as it is for now. 

Someday I might replace it, but I don't have any plans on re-opening him at this point.

* David * my theory for the odd rectangular cuts in the battery box is that they make it very simple to get the batteries out without prying hard.  ?

His light now is back to flashing as it should be.  His motor is all cleaned up and ready to go.  I replaced his missing bump and go wheel with a similarly sized wheel.... 

But - I never paid close attention to his rear wheels.  

They support his considerable weight and are linked to his arms - when he rolls, it gives them more of a swinging action.

So, while I was lining everything else up - I failed to notice that they are out of round.  Not really flattened, as there is metal in the rubber - but they are warped from his weight and age.

He runs, and his whistle works well if I hold him up.  

But, on a surface he struggles to move with his warped, rear wheels.

That's alright.  He still had a home in the cabinet.   I might address the rear wheels someday.  No plans for now.

I will put him up on little blocks to keep them worsening further.

A vid of him in action - and a blurry shot of his rear wheels - they are housed in the little corner compartments that are geared and linked to his arms.

Peace,

20170813_174456.jpg

How much did you have to modify the slots or tabs on that battery box to fit? Were the sides plastic? If so were they rigid? How did that all work out? I wondered if those big slots were to help the batteries not explode, but I also wonder if that would help at all. It seems like batteries leak when they're in sealed cases. but I don't know why. I've also had new batteries leak sitting on furniture for no reason at all.

Hi David - the compartment sides from the locomotive that I got were plastic - and the tabs did not match up well either.  

I think I could have made it work, but when I repaired the old contacts, they actually work very well and hold the batteries tight.

I might get in to him sometime down the road - but only if I decide to take on his rear wheel problem.  If I do that, I'll drop you a note about getting the proper compartment from you.    

Easy battery removal was just my theory from re placing the batts so many time when I worked with it.   The large cut outs allow you to grab that deep battery with your thumb and forefinger.   Much easier than removal from the locomotive compartment.

43 minutes ago, David Kirk said:

I wondered if those big slots were to help the batteries not explode, but I also wonder if that would help at all. It seems like batteries leak when they're in sealed cases. but I don't know why. I've also had new batteries leak sitting on furniture for no reason at all.

Here's a better pic of the tin in the battery compartment.    My guess would be that while it was easier - it was probably was more of a risk to kids' fingers, and they went away from that design over time...

Just a guess.

20170814_094825.jpg

I like that theory. Back then there was no problem having kids stick their fingers into razor edged metal holes either. I think we were just tougher.

Archived