Masudaya Sonic, repair and clean up.

Martian Gil

Here is a fun little clip.    

I figure that the fixers among us would enjoy.

If you know what it is right away, please don't give it away yet...  give hints if you like :)

I'll re-title the post as I add more shots of this guy.

I had to do some serious motor work on this fella yesterday.   The functions in this clip will run a little better as I do further cleaning - and replace my weak battery pack.

Cheers all!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The robot is sitting right there! Thanks, I'd never seen that mechanism. I figured it would be just like the trains but it looks rather different. Is that the sound it's supposed to make?

Lol!  I didn't try to make it too obscure.

I still need to clean and lube the whistle slide.

And my 3cell d pack is a bit weak - I think addressing those issues will pep it up a bit.  

Doing some deep cleaning now.

In process - quite a bit of surface oxidation, but it's cleaning well.

The litho plates are in great shape - the painton the body seems to have been in a damp environment.  

I'll get him cleaned up and button him together...  and noodle about stripping him down.  Or not.

Cheers,

20170704_101941.jpg

This old guy was a wee bit oxidized.  

I did a few go rounds with a mildly aggresive marine restorer... It's become a reliable product for me.

Then I treated a couple times each with Meguiar's #26 & 7.   

20170704_105514.jpg

20170704_113640.jpg

David / Robert, his whistle is really popping now, but my vid won't load properly yet.

I have a beer or two to consume now, and I probably won't be able to get back to him this week.  I need to look at his switch  - it seems to have a bug.

I put him together for some photos with the other new guy.

Cheers, 

20170704_164957.jpg

20170704_163326.jpg

Seeing it at the side of domed puts into perspective how big the bugger is.

Awesome robot and nice on going repairs MG.  :thumbs:

Nice too see a video of the slide whistle version "guts" and it sounds just like ever other slide whistle version I have heard. Now you need to add the more common train whistle version. I on the other hand need to add the slide whistle version to my gang bots.

Archived