Masudaya Sonic, repair and clean up.

Martian Gil

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to Rich!  

I'll get more vids as I figure out my youtube.

Thanks John & MRH!    

I even forgot that there were two versions of the whistle set up... I'll have to look that up further.   

Check out the great litho used on the inside of the blower housing tin.     It looks like a graphics and printing test plate that was re-used.    Very cool.

- peace

20170704_121125.jpg

20170703_121233.jpg

He may not be mint, but that's what is so cool. He's got character! And already works better than mine! (at least for now). Great job on repairs and documentation. Also, I had no idea that there were two whistle versions. I would guess that the slide whistle is the first version?

MG a great bit of renovation.

The red paintwork polished up looks fine.

The finished job looks like a well loved and played with

robot.

Excellent work.

2 hours ago, David Kirk said:

So It's an actual version? That's rather wonderful. Does the whistle ever sound less squeaky?

Thanks all - he sure adds a BIG presence to my cabinet!  

And I just re-adjusted my shelving...

David, it actually did get a little louder and cleaner sounding after cleaning and lubing the movement... and stronger batts!

My phone was picking up alot of the motor and gearing clatter.

I'll fix my youtube link and try to get better sound next week.

It's fun to see the printing on the whistle is from the wheel of a Masudaya western train. I have tubs of those squirreled away for future projects, but I believe they all hoot rather than whistle. Now I'm going to have to put batteries in them to make sure!

5 minutes ago, David Kirk said:

It's fun to see the printing on the whistle is from the wheel of a Masudaya western train. I have tubs of those squirreled away for future projects, but I believe they all hoot rather than whistle. Now I'm going to have to put batteries in them to make sure!

That is really cool David!  

I can clearly see the locomotive wheel now that you point that out - I'm not a toy train guy....

I just recognized that the tin was repurposed from something.

I imagine that the other marks must be guides for the operators of the presses?

Cool!

That is super, John!  Thanks for sharing  - before I got mine, I hadn't heard either version.  

Now I know why David and Robert thought that there was a problem :biggrin:

32 minutes ago, robothut said:

Here is the video I did on the guts of the more common train whistle version.

John, I've noticed that some of the Sonics have yellow battey compartments & some have the light tan / taupe.    Mine is the tan.

Do you recall the compartment from this version?

Could that be a way to identify the whistle version (on non functioning) difference's without opening them up?

Does anyone else have the odd whistler that works?

What color is your compartment? 

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived