Gustav....

H.I. Gosses

There is something about the brass fastener on aluminum hands that I like. Primative, but with quality. Now can we see the electric golden Sparky? :D

Thank you all very much for your praises.

I basked and woddled in the adulation!

That alone justifies all the #$%$#!! work.

However, as David said, now that I have all the molds etc,

I might just as well make a few more.

I will try to muster the courage to make 5-10 pieces.

Those who expressed a desire to have one, I will contact,

when there is something to

contact them about..

Meanwhile, let's finish this off withg a befitting picture,

and ...

as promised,

"The Electric Sparky!"

soon in this theatre.

post-2-1105650795.jpg

I would be interested in getting one, too. (3...4...5... sorry, dumb joke.) It's really a great looking toy, and it's rare that anything new really catches my eye.

:) H.I. Gosses, I have a question, I haven't found the exact size of replacement eyelet that fits the Sparky arm. That size is also used on tin toys in other areas, such as the battery cover latch pivot. I can readily find smaller eyelets, 1/8", used in crafts a lot here, and the next larger size that I can find requires the holes to be drilled out larger. Do you have a source for that size? I measure 3/16" Thanks, -Larry 7

Larry,

Those rivets or grommets are not exactly out of the realm of precision-enginering.

If you buy them from a craftstore, they are different from those from a leather-,

paper-, sailmaker-, bookbinder-, hosier-, or enginering -shop.

I bought from each of these sources at one time, consequently I have enough for

9 lives, and they are all slightly different.

The hands to Gustav are "Standard" belt/craft rivets. The eyes however are rivets

used by electricians to make eyelets on cables. (before the Amp connectors)

These I modified in a 2-sided die. The hole is made paralel and the flange diameter is

reduced by rounding it more. Not as to deform them again by rivetting them, they are

soldered in the face and then ground flat.

I presume the problem is the eternal clash of Metric vs Imperial. Japan was/is metric.

With the repro Sparky's I take the rivet I want, as far as curvature of the flange is concerned, and ream (NOT drill!) it to size. The hole in the body a little larger,

so it swings freely.

A good source of out-size rivets are transistor radio antennae. Of course you have to provide the flange, but they have all sorts outlandish diameters.

Archived