The Iron Fireman Project

Brian..

Here's my latest little fellow, the Iron Fireman. I've always wanted one of those cast metal figures, now I have two. I'm still working on the Russian Robot; this is a diversion while I wait for motors.

The light grey is unfinished and shows the red gel on the coals.  I bought a dental vacuum former to get the mould right. I'll need it for domes. The graphite one is complete.  I had some paint left over from the Mechanical Man and I like the industrial look that it gives. It has a flickering light effect in the shovelful of coal.

I learned the hard way that you need to make these guys easy to repair, so this one has a removable body and head.  The leg structure just drops out of the body with a little pressure, and the head unit is a push fit as well.  The motor and battery can be lifted out as a single unit in seconds. A trapdoor gives access to the two AAA batteries. The legs are also largely unglued and can be dismantled for easy access.  The only fixed and awkward bit is the arm structure. The arms have to be glued in location to get something close to that distinctive shovelling pose. The legs are also slightly bent at the knee to give a more realistic look. Straight legs are easier but the give a rigid Gort appearance that is just wrong for this guy.

This has been a relatively easy and entertaining build: none of the headaches of the Russian Robot. It's not intended to be an exact copy because I wanted it to walk. I had to compromise but the spirit is still there.

IMG_4049.JPGIMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4047.JPGIMG_4048.JPG

IMG_4050.JPGIMG_4051.JPG

Beautiful work Brian!!!  You're a hell-uv an artist, love them both, AND  they're non-violent, no annoying space noise or shooting guns.

• 3 weeks later...
  • bh changed the title to Latest Project - The Iron Fireman

Brian have you ever thought of using those battery flickering tea lights.

I have used them to great effect when behind some translucent material to give the impression of a coal fire.

With your skills I'm sure you could strip one down and use as part of the shovel coal embers.

Just a thought.

BTW how's my Man of Steel coming along?

Great minds think alike, Spark. There's already a flickering tea light in the shovel. I bought a vacuum forming machine to make the glowing coals.

Man of Steel needs a specific size motor. The motors must still be on a junk somewhere in the South China Sea. They will see the light of day soon, I fervently hope.

Meanwhile I have used the larger motors, of which I have many, to make the Firemen.

Anyone interested in a Fireman,  just message me. Modestly priced, despite thousands of hours that have gone into them.  I bought another printer and will need some money for the divorce once my wife finds out. Hospital costs as well to have it extracted from my body, probably.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  Brian--I tried to message you, but the error message said that you cant receive messages???   Well , anyways I would love to purchase 1 if you have any left-Thanks !!

Archived