Changing Prince is Alive

roboz

I'm not saying the robot smokes per say rather

the smoke would be channeled into the head area 

for an eerie effect as if the smoke is a byproduct of the change 

Kinda of the way nightcrawler of the xmen leaves a smoke trail when he teleports :biggrin:

But you'd need some type of light to pick it up 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a compliment- I watched the video a few times, congrats to all. Very cool. I think even 2 aa's wont support smoking device very long. Usually 2 (must be) alkalne "D" batts are used for smokers. The idea is awesome to me but, altthough impossible with standard smoking devices, I think it would be perfectly fitting to have it only smoke when the demon shows his face. Very nice creation!

There have been a few toys that use 2 AA batteries and have smokers in them, they never realy put out the smoke like a 2 D cell system does or the 3 D cell puff puff bump and go trains for example. I have a yellow robot mechanic, small roto-matic all plastic uses two AA batteries and has a smoker, but you will go blind trying to see the smoke. I will give it some thought, like ozzy said maybe a second AA 4 pack then I could use  6 volt smoking system, they draw less current and put out more smoke. If we had a way to control a small jar of water I could use a 5 volt ultrasonic fogger unit, boat loads of mist, but you do have water vapor build up so on. I will think on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Want to thank Marco , Mrs Marco...  Well , I'll let him explain .....

" The project change Prince is not complete with the prince and devil present. My contribution to this project is the creation of the head for this robot: The prince and the devil.
The head is sculptured by Hand ( thanks Marjon and Ien from Mainkunstenaars ) who spent last week creating the head for this project, from only ONE available picture !!
From the sculpture I made a high resolution 3D scan, scaled the head down and 3D printed it in high resolution on my Ultimaker 2+.

I could not resist to do a quick paintjob on the head to see the final result for the Prince Robot... Great project and I am happy to contribute by creating the prince and devil for this robot... Cant wait to see the complete robot 1f642.png:)

Good luck completing the robot Ozzie !"

So just to illustrate the effort required to get a project like this off the ground 

The intial CAD work was 90-100 hours

John's refining of the CAD so it can be suitable for 3D printing another 50 Hours

My complete redrawing of the chest art , 6 hours

Print time barring no problems ( & there's always problems ) appx 40 hours if you don't sleep, if you sleep figure 3 days worth of printing

Marco will have to Chime in on the sculpting time but we know a week from TWO artists

The box art I'm waiting for but imagine quite a bit of hours to complete 

Time to use the polishing chamber 

The time to hand paint the entire robot

The time to assemble/program t

The time to assemble the box (top & bottom) 

Inital outlay of $$$ exceeds 2500 for equipment & supplies not including the CAD fee

This includes parts for just 2 robots

I imagine whoever created the actual prototype in kitahara's museum did it much quicker & cheaper

Thankfully this is a labor of love or it would be slave labor  ; - ) 

:cheers:

CP head 1.jpg

CP head 3.jpg

CP head 4.jpg

CP head.jpg

7 minutes ago, roboz said:

Thankfully this is a labor of love or it would be slave labor  ; - ) 

Welcome to a career in the arts!

1 hour ago, David Kirk said:

Welcome to a career in the arts!

Oh I get it David just want folks to understand that breaking even is the goal 

which is what Mrs Radicon did 

So whatever the final price is reflects not wanting to lose your @ss :wacko:

Changing Prince is a cool project and i have to step in on ozzie in this.
From the former 3D Projects that John, Brian and I did I know still many here on the board do still not really realize the work that goes in such a project, its really insane and like Oz mentioned to break even in such a project would be more than great.

From what i learned over the years most of the projects only cost money when you calculate the time, time and time that goes into them.

Back to the prince... I added some extra pictures to give you guys an idea how the head was made.
My wife, who is an artist and is really good in making sculptures from clay, made the head from only one available picture.
In the first pics you see the original made sculpture.  From there the head was captured in high resolution with 3D scanning.
Than scaled down to aprox 50 MM and printed in high resolution on one of my Ultimakers with a printing time of 3 hours without support.

The head was airbrushed than in skin colour and I finished the details by hand as I really wanted to see the final result in real.
with a total of about 45 hours to create the head, 6 hours to scan and finish the digital file, 3 hours to print, and a couple of hours to do the airbrush and a quick paintjob...and than.. TADAA>>> you have ONLY the head as a prototype finished...
3 people were involved with a total of about 60 hours... only to create the head for this fantastic project !!

Here are some pictures of the process

Cheers
Marco

DSC_0473.JPG

DSC_0474.JPG

DSC_0475.JPG

DSC_0476.JPG

DSC_0477.JPG

DSC_0478.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

Impressive project guys! Very fun to read the story of creating it all, what an hours of work and all people involved, WoW! 

Thumbs up for all of you 👍! 😎

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing work Oz.  Just like the original, true artistry, We're fortunate enough to have one of your trial run 'art pieces' on one of our shelves here.  And...loving it.

Congrats on this most incredible item. And a most incredible collector/collection.:cheers:

Thanks you guys are too kind

This took basically all day for 3 coats with 1 hour drying between coats

but it's fun

Love to see what a real artist like D Kirk would do with this ! 

;- ) 

Archived