Changing Prince is Alive

roboz

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, target said:

Could John scan in from a smoker the legs and battery compartment so you don't need repro smokers , and do 3D ? Not sure if that can bring cost down and be done ?

Yes making the legs in 3d printed plastic would have been so much easyer, but Ozzy's plan was for tin feet and legs and mechanicals, a hybred, so that's what I did.

scaling everything to match the smoker parts was a bitch. I think I have about 50 hours of CAD time in this if you count all the re do an modifications. You don't want to know how many hours of print time I have in it.

6 minutes ago, steve said:

Well done - awesome looking robot!

Thanks Steve !

I have the ULTIMATE compliment , Kitahara himself liked a picture of the changing prince posted on facebook 

This is the picture. I posed it like this because this is how he has his displayed in the cabinet 

I may have to stage another picture with my Jupiter & Robot Hut Patrol Robot , the Mr Mercury too 

CPKL.jpg

Changing prince 3.jpg

56 minutes ago, robothut said:

Yes making the legs in 3d printed plastic would have been so much easyer, but Ozzy's plan was for tin feet and legs and mechanicals, a hybred, so that's what I did.

scaling everything to match the smoker parts was a bitch. I think I have about 50 hours of CAD time in this if you count all the re do an modifications. You don't want to know how many hours of print time I have in it.

Yes correct I like the tactile feel of the tin when you grab it by the legs & the sound of the old school motor, did NOT want all plastic & the smoker was able to be scaled to the correct height or within a few MM of the original & 

Tom also worked off the smoker guts that Robert was kind enough to provide. If there was a way to (affordably)  do ALL metal the way Volker did his steambot I would have preferred metal 

There is a bit of a sacrifice to the feet design but overall a small price to pay & yes it is the first Hybrid to speak of so there's that . Between the painting & Graphics work which was another 19 hours 

& however long it took Tom I guess there's well over 100 hours invested by 3 different people & that's not counting the time that will be invested into the box art & sculpted head & oh what is it John like

40 hours or so print time for each body (assuming no failures in the print )  & time spent to tear down a smoker  + time to print & assemble the boxes along with time spent packing & shipping :cheers:

I notice in the unpainted video that the robot looks smoother than other 3D printed robots. Is it? I also wanted to mention that I quite like that you put the smoker legs on backwards. It adds a nice seam detail and makes it feel quite different from other smoker mods. I'd love to see a video of the robot moving without the shell - so I could see how you did the head rotation, which is excellent - very precise!

I printed the gray prototype in standard PLA plastic and the standard prototype speed's "60 mm" and a layer height of 0.2. so all very normal and not special . The Prusa printer does a very good job for the money. Yes I have done the old backward leg trick on many of my smoker conversion threw the years. What really happens is you turn the feat around and leave the legs and gear box as is. I did not shot any video of the robot with the body front off, should have. Well on the next build I can do that. I do have to modify the smoker gear box in that I have to remove the walk stop action since I am controlling the walking motor from a controller device. I wrote out a sequence of events and emailed it to Ozzy to see if it sounded like a good show and he said yes. Not as easy as you might think to come up a sequence that tells a story and can repeat when dealing with a toy robot like this. Also there is some of the gear box frame that has to cut away in order to fit it inside the robot.

Could have saved you guys a lot of time since the files for this Robot were created a long time ago.

The flat satin finish also helps blend the print lines 

compared to a gloss finish Unless it's Polysmooth filament 

& also multiple coats . John mentioned in the 3D section 

in his new 1920's police bot several methods to get a real smooth look

but it's alot of work/time & few people seem willing to pay 

Quite frankly David I was against ( & still am for that matter)

posting any build photo's since you never know who'll wake up 

tomorrow & post their version.  Sad but true . They can figure it out on their own. 

John BTW I was asked about having the head light up I said the head is too thick for light to bleed through

plus the wire would keep twisting however I wonder if the eyes could be illuminate 
& since it's a "smoker" how about some smoke in the head ?

That would be pretty cool 

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

4 hours ago, nasa said:

Great job John and Ozzie :cheers:

I also like the wavieness of the viedo.... :eeek:

Thanks Mark :thumbs:

Now that the video is reverted I have to ask who likes it plain who likes it trippy ?

Morbius voted trippy I'm thinking you like Trippy too :biggrin:

Smoking units draw 250 ma "1/4 amp" at 3 volts, that is a pretty good drain on AA size  batteries, not a good design idea, and if you think twisting light wire are a problem what about twisting smoke tubes.

39 minutes ago, robothut said:

Smoking units draw 250 ma "1/4 amp" at 3 volts, that is a pretty good drain on AA size  batteries, not a good design idea, and if you think twisting light wire are a problem what about twisting smoke tubes.

I thought maybe a smoke tube could be channeled through the opening from one of the side face plates if it didn't interfere with any of the linkage underneath

& maybe the 2 AA battery holder could be changed to a 4 AA holder so 2 extra dedicated AA"s just for a smoking unit & lights in the eye or head

Not saying it's practicle or feasible , just that it would look crazy when the head opened if there was smoke in there with an illumination effect 

Exciting project. The change mechanism performs perfectly! 

But a smoking Prince of Light??? 

Just to be sure: The musical soundtrack in the video is probably no part of the robot's sound sequence - though that romantic fairy tale atmosphere would fit in. - So the Prince of Light is silent, then the Prince of Dark shocks the audience with sound and vision?

Archived