Changing Prince is Alive

roboz

John, I think it looks much better with full lights running, and personally, I like the current heads much better than the originals, but then again, that is the point.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, robothut said:

Defiantly turn off that you tube stability setting.

I like that wonky distortion it's trippy 👹

but I'll go with majority consent 

I was a little put off by the new heads for just an instant but it only took that long to get used to them. I'd be curious to see what you end up with copying the originals, but really, the new ones are good too. Part of the vibe from the originals is the crude sculpt and the sloppy painting, which would certainly not have made it to the finish. I love the lights. The operation is great - the hands quivering! How long did it take John to figure all that out? I do wish that you could have analog sound - rotary screeching like in the orange flying saucer, and maybe bells or hooting for the angel, just to keep with the period feeling and to avoid the greeting card sound, but if I didn't have that prejudice for mechanical sounds, this would work perfectly well too. The timing is great. John needs to do a run of these!

Mechanical sound is possible, I threw in the evil  laughing as a after thought, then Oz and I liked it. But mechanical screeching can be played back threw a digital play back sysyem also so you could have the best of both worlds if you wanted. Its ozzy project so what ever he decided he wants is what I will do.

The dual head is something I threw together from some faces on thing a verse just so I would have a test head for the mechanical set up. I would lean more  to a robo cop and Maria head swap myself, but then I don't have any real love for the original heads. The shaking arms can be made happen more or not at all.

I'm open to & appreciate all suggestions & there are suggestions we'll certainly consider. 

As as for the head it would be easy & way cheaper to use the existing head but when I open kitaharas book & I see those 2 faces

I feel they are so integral to the spirit of the original toy that to capture the essence best it can be, 

then it's worth to invest the $$ to do it accurately as possible  

my CAD guy tried his best to model them but it was too difficult to get all the little contours & nuances so sculpting was the next best option

i asked John if he could fit a magnet on the bottom which he did so the head is removable

that means in the future if someone wanted a different head to swap in there it's possible 

Anyway we would like to do a small run but these won't be cheap 

lots more cost in this compared to say Mrs Radicon 

Not to mention the added work expense of buying/ stripping down donor smokers 

once i pin down some costs with John ill post it in the 3D thread 

Thanks for the comments 👍🏻

Thank you robodue :blush:

So I reverted the video to non stabilized so it's easier on the eyes now

however it lost it's evil dead style camera effect :wacko:

Looking at the original head it almost looks wax to me , or is that my imagination ? 

What sort of big bucks are you paying for the sculpt? My daughter could do a cleaner version of the original with Sculpy!

Are you going to do any as kits? What are you going to do for paint on the details? 

Absolutely wonderful, one of your best works John, Oz, everyone involved.  Kelly, Laurie and I really liked the 'trippy' video, kinda like a Twilight Zone feel to it.  Just thought I was tired, it was late. IF we win the lottery put me down for 2.

Bravo!

1 hour ago, David Kirk said:

What sort of big bucks are you paying for the sculpt? My daughter could do a cleaner version of the original with Sculpy!

Are you going to do any as kits? What are you going to do for paint on the details? 

Thanks Mike :  ) 

David

There are 2 guys involved, one sculpts, from what I was told he does some stuff for Mego among other things

& then his buddy gets the master does the molds & casting 

Deep Space refered him to me, he did some work for her she was pleased with.

I don't know what can be offer kit wise since the robot has to be programmed

& a smoker stripped down 

other than completely unpainted but

that doesn't make much sense, I spent about 16 hours over 3 days to paint that prototype, size & mount the chest art.

Granted i'm not the fastest  & not set up to paint easily but you need 2 or 3 coats minimum on everything & 

there's alot of masking & brushing, drying time etc where its much easier & faster to spray the parts

when it's dissassembled & spray them both inside & out like say the face plates interior of the head etc 

And doing the rivets say on the back of the body is much easier having the back loose as opposed to handling 

the entire robot for every little thing 

Having said all that , we can cross that bridge when we get to it 

As for your daughter have her crank something out with the sculpy & we can check it out , you never know

14 hours ago, Brian.. said:

Now that's what you call a Prince. Excellent work, gentlemen.

Thank you Brian , Much appreciated :cheers:

12 hours ago, Andyman said:

Is there a story behind the concept of this robot with the prince, who happens to be encased in a robot body, who then turns into a demon?

Andy all that's posted in kithara's book is that it was a strange concept of an angel & devil 

So while we call it prince unless it was a transalation error they referred to it as I described ,

I guess it could be Prince of Darkness / Prince of Light ??

Oz and John what an amazing job and excellent detail .Oz you finally did it and it looks amazing ! Congratulations 🍾

On 6/23/2017 at 5:58 AM, roboz said:

Once again John pulls off the impoossible 

On 6/23/2017 at 5:58 AM, roboz said:

Once again John pulls off the impoossible 

Whoa!

Could John scan in from a smoker the legs and battery compartment so you don't need repro smokers , and do 3D ? Not sure if that can bring cost down and be done ?

Archived