Hazel Atlas Space Mugs

Tinman

I really like the graphics on these Hazel Atlas space mugs, which came in two different styles.  There seems to be at least 6 different graphic designs but not all of the designs can be found on a single style of mug, so if you want a complete set of graphics you have to mix the mug styles.  Anyway, I found this auction pic which shows how the mugs were shipped, in sets of four, unfortunately nothing of real interest to a collector.  The term "PLATONITE" was given to a form of white glass developed and patented by Hazel Atlas, not to be confused with "milk glass."  Being made for children, the mugs are tiny and stand at about 3.25 inches.

Hazel Atlas Space Mug Set (1).jpgHazel Atlas Space Mug Set (3).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up this mug at auction and now wondering if it's actually made by Hazel Atlas; although it has some of the same graphics found on the HA mugs, their quality and sharpness isn't quite there and the bottom of the mug isn't marked with the Hazel Atlas logo.  This mug is a touch shorter than the Hazel Atlas offerings and the glass is a tiny bit thicker...not as delicate.  Perhaps this was another company's attempt to jump in the space market using "borrowed" Hazel Atlas graphics while incorporating spacemen that look like their right out of Tom Corbett, Space Cadet.

Cup.jpg

Cup2.jpg

Archived