Hi Bounce Moon scout - Inside

robothut

I have a Hi Bounce Moon scout on the bench so thought I would shoot a video of what goes on inside for those that like that sort of thing.

John, thanks for sharing, always good to see inside robots, and this one is particularly interesting a very clever mechanism. In fact it is quite amazing all that thought was put into making a mass produced toy, looks nice quality inside as well.

This is such a wonderful mechanism. I loved the shooting super balls. I even managed to hold on to all five until I sold mine in 1981. I wonder if it would be possible to install this wondrous mechanism in a robot that was worthy on the outside? Or maybe you just need to accept it as a package deal. I always thought they must have modeled that astro face on Paul Newman. He's just like Cool Hand Luke.

Very interesting so, the obvious is the each button controls the worm gears direction? 

I wonder what other toys may use this? Seems like the High Bouncer is quite a bit rarer

than col hap so wonder if this was a cost/complexity issue. 

Be nice if they used all brass gears!

BTW how big is the hole for the balls if only to keep it on this thread for reference

Thanks for the post John 

I just watched your excellent video. Very well explained and demonstrated. I have even more respect for the innards of this fellow. I remember loading the balls through that swinging hatch and I remember chasing them down. They shot really far!

2 hours ago, David Kirk said:

This is such a wonderful mechanism. I loved the shooting super balls. I even managed to hold on to all five until I sold mine in 1981. I wonder if it would be possible to install this wondrous mechanism in a robot that was worthy on the outside? Or maybe you just need to accept it as a package deal. I always thought they must have modeled that astro face on Paul Newman. He's just like Cool Hand Luke.

How awesome - John needs to modify.

No more high bounce balls... EGGS!

Fantastic demonstration JOHN, as always!

Really awesome to watch these different functions, realized with only one motor and a clever working gearbox.

Thank you John!

Ozzy the opening for the super bounce balls is around 15mm that would be 0.62 inches or 5/8 inch , so you would want the balls to be that or smaller. I have used some smaller plastic balls from a dollar store toy to test the mechanics and smaller balls work just fine as well. But like David said you end up chasing them down as they can shoot quite far !

Archived