Are we ready for a 3D Raygun yet?

Tinplate6

Ok, I know this forum is titled "3D printed robots", but, being a ray gun collector, I had to put my 2 cents in. So, I offer up my avatar for consideration, not just because it's mine, but actually it's the only design I own; so, no copyright issues. Take a look and tell me what you think. I'm showing this with a light and sound chip; one light at the barrel tip and the other under the clear red window on the top. The drawing actually says "strobe" but I'm not sure if that's feasible.

neutron ray.jpgAlphablaster011.jpg

I have been thinking the forum should be 3d printed, so that space ships and ray guns and who knows what could be placed here. There are tons of STL files on line for ray guns and space ships, way more than robots.

It's a good point about the forum name.

In fact, Brady, that design is easy create on a CAD program. You've subdivided it to make it even simpler.  Are you not tempted to give it a go?

Brian, I don't have any high-tech software; I own an 8-year old Apple iMac. Where would I get access to that kind of system?

Curses, I just noticed that Designspark is only for Windows. Those ornamental Apple machines are not supported. That's a bummer. I don't know what to recommend for the Apple platform.

Yes there are lots of good videos on you tube for using Fusion 360 looks like a good program but I have not played with it yet. So there you go Tinplate 6 2 good and free CAD programs that will work on MAC. Now lets see some projects.

I've been thinking about a 3D raygun for some time. How about the prototype gun that was made by John some time ago before all these robots ?

• 2 weeks later...

I've considered rayguns a subject for 3D printing. The patent register is full of very tempting subjects that have historical significance. Replicas of Pyrotomic or Norton-Honer prototypes would enhance any collection.

dis.jpghoner.jpg

pyro.jpg

If someone want to try to print the "home-made" Zoomeray, PM me with an email address and I will send the .stl file. I sliced the model in a way to allow it to be printed without overhanging and relative sopports...

E.

ZR_1.0b.JPG

Archived