How large of a drone robot can I print ?

robothut

So just for fun I wanted to know just how large of a silent running type robot I could print on the Prusa 3d printer. I broke down some files from Thing I verse and made some new files and modified some old files and well 176 hours later presto.

DSC02906.jpg

No I will not be printing another one, it was just something I had to do. I could have used faster print setting but I want to see what the 1.5 layer height Optimum setting would do on a large print. Used up all my old spair PLA also.

DSC02800.JPG

DSC02802.JPG

DSC02860.jpg

DSC02808.JPG

DSC02880.JPG

DSC02894.JPG

DSC02895.JPG

DSC02887.JPG

DSC02898.jpg

DSC02899.jpg

painted it with some hammered silver and hammered red paint. put the little battery walker in the picture for added scale.

DSC02903.jpg

DSC02904.jpg

DSC02905.jpg

DSC02907.jpg

DSC02909.jpg

John first of all I congratulate you on another work of genius building.

Now all the questions I am about to ask are coming from a 3D novice and you might not feel bothered to answer all of them but I would appreciate it if you would answer some.

Here goes.

Is that the printer you use for all your 3D robots and

how old is it ?

Now for the more personal questions.

How much did it cost new and how much money would you estimate your xl large drone cost you in materials ?

John I can see these printers are fun to own and use because of the amazing results you are achieving. 

I know I get accused of bring money into everything but would genuinely find it interesting to see the practicalities of owning a 3D printer.

Spark robot. I have 3 printers. The first two printers are Flash Forge Dreamers that I bought for a bout $350 bucks each as junk off ebay. Both were repaired for little to nothing. The Dreamer back when it came out was a $1500.00 printer. It has since been branded in a single extruder design for $900.00 under the Bosh name and sold by Home Depot and others. Its a work horse of a machine. When it is running it shakes the house so had to keep them out in the shop. And yes they shake the shop and it has a cement floor ! So before whiter came on, back when I did the 3d printed Nando project last year I bought a Original Prusa i3 MK2 kit. They are just under $700.00 but from what reviews I could find that I trusted it was going to be the best printer for the money, and I was right it is still the best printer for the money, they have there own version of Slic3r MK2 that is updated all the time to give the best possible results from the printer and it does. I printed the Jumbo Drone with a 5% infill. That means it is only 5% solid on the inside and even at that setting you can stand on the parts and they do not break if you use the Slic3r program to slice the STL files. I used up many small rolls of filament but based on the weight or how super light the finished robot is I would say it used between 1 and 1.5 rolls of PLA so 2.5 pounds to 3.5 pounds . I should put it on a scale then I would know for sure, but its out I n the hut now so maybe later. As for the cost I was using the cheapest PLA off ebay, less than $20 bucks for 2.5 pound roll with shipping, so less than $30 bucks in plastic to make would be my guess with out weighing the robot. I printed it over a few months time, when ever I was not working on the battery operated walking Drone NEWBEI #4 .

Sparkbot I just checked and the Jumbo Drone weights 3.12 LB or 1.41 Kg so yes les than $30 bucks of cheep PLA to print.

4 hours ago, robothut said:

I have done that 3 times. Or do you meen a 3d printed robot that can carry a person ?

I meant 3D printed!

Archived