3D Ray Gun Puzzle

Tinman

I picked up this set of 3D ray gun puzzles and would love to find an English example one of these days...especially with the card.  Is anything known about these; the camera doesn't show it but the hard plastic does look dated?

IMG_8877.JPG

Sorry I don't have any info on these but I just noticed that the trigger is actually the tip of a knife. Cool. I never noticed that before.

I posted a pic of the set on FB (Vintage Space Toys) and one of the members said they were made by Merit.  I asked if he had any other info.

Here's the one I have, yes, it's made by Merit...Cat. No. 4469. The graphics are great.

I wonder what the; J & L Randall Ltd. and Potters Bar, refer to? Perhaps that's the printers?

IMG_1976.JPG

Hmmm, then maybe mine aren't made by Merit.  Brady, your gun seems to have J. & L. R. LTD. and Made In England markings...mine have no markings, only a number on each part.

The card is awesome...would love to photograph it front and back during my next visit!  For display purposes only of course.

J & L Randall sold items with the trading name Merit. They are English toy makers, largely responsible for many of the important Dan Dare toys.

I remember the craze for these take-apart puzzles in the early 60s. There are hundreds of themes but the English versions, which seem to be copies of American originals, come on beautiful backing cards. In the US they seem to be called keychain puzzles.

A guy over here makes beautifully accurate metal copies of this space gun.

Thanks for the insight Brian.  There seems to be a ton of the other-style ray gun puzzle out there but these, not so much; I'm no sure what that means, maybe the molds never made it out of the US or UK.  I'd really like to find one with the UK markings and I'm guessing the backing cards are an extreme rarity.  I'd also like to see the metal copies if you could provide a link or picture.

Here's a picture I took of Brady's...it's a real beauty:

IMG_7662.JPG

My guess is the different colored parts were in trays, and the folks on the production line, just grabbed whatever color and put them together. If you multiply the colors, by the pieces, that's a lot of possible combinations.

Drk Blue

Lt Blue

Green

Yellow

Red

White

Pink

Barrel

Scope

Cylinder

Trigger/pommel

Grip

Body

I came up with 42 possible combinations...that is, assuming we know that these are the only colors used.

Nerd alert:

I think they exercised some artistry: no two parts have the same colour, 42 unique combinations. If they just choose at random then there are thousands of combinations. That would range from an all pink gun through to all dark-blue one. They probably chose a "looks right" combination and accepted that a few parts would be the same colour.

Quite true, my learned compatriot, I hadn't thought of that. :blush:

Say Brian, we never uncovered the meaning of  the "Pottters Bar" notation.

Potters Bar?  A suburb of London. The home of clarinetist Acker Bilk whose one and only hit record you will instantly recognise. Best avoided.