Russian Robot Project

Jonydroid

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian big is good for me.

The questions I am going to ask might be a step to far but here goes.

Will he be posable at all ?

Example any movable joints arm legs or body.

Tinplate mentioned the legs could be beefier which I agree with but are his design dimension's now set ? 

The arms are articulated at the elbow and shoulder and can be posed. Of course you can't articulate the knees because his balance would be affected.

The size of the legs is determined by the need to allow clearance for the arms. The problem is that the swinging arms would hit the broad hips. The artist didn't have to make him walk! I've put a slight bend in the legs to give a less rigid look.

Moving toy robots all have a rather static upright stance. Part of the appeal for me of the Scoops robot was that it could adopt a more dynamic pose. Scoops has the same hip structure as this robot and I may try to get it walking, but this would sacrifice the dynamic look.

Brian he is your project and I trust you 100% to get the best result.

All questions answered.

Thanks

Steve

Brian-Do you know if you are going to produce some for sale yet ??? If so I would buy one !!!  PRETTY PLEASE ???????:biggrin:

Yes, I will make some for sale, but I won't take orders yet. There's still plenty of work to refine this fellow.

(I'll move this into the existing thread once it's had an airing.)

Well, here he is at last. The Man of Steel, my first POGOT. It's based on a simple black and white print of a robot called TYM that Sparkrobot posted on the site. TYM is no name for any self-respecting robot so he's "Man of Steel". It would appear that Stalin has the same meaning, an unfortunate fact.

He stands 14 inches tall (plus antenna). The size presented issues: longer print times, more material and some people are put off by a robot that doesn't fit your average shelf. He's that size because the motor determined the width of the hips, and, like Topsy, everything "just growed" from there.

The robot presented a couple of interesting challenges: the unusual barrel shape of the hips and the long slender legs. I didn't have a working design that I could copy so there was a lot of trial and error. The great incentive was the fact that other significant robots have similar barrel hips. That will help when I decide to move on to them.

In addition I just had to have moving arms and I was determined to avoid having to have owners opening the robot to change the batteries. Now the convenient back-pack cover detaches for easy access and the antenna serves as a pin to hold it all in place. He runs off two AAA cells to keep the upper weight as low as possible. He won't run for hours but is capable of quite a few trips across the table. Strong black paint gives the industrial, no-nonsense look of your regular Soviet world-domination robot.

The most irritating problem is sourcing the right size boxes for display and boxes for posting. I spent hours making custom boxes for the Mechanical Man and was thoroughly hacked off at the prospect of making more, so I've sourced ready-made ones that increase cost but save ages. The bigger, heavier boxes will, unfortunately, affect postage costs. So, yes, I'm offering this to anyone who's interested. The final price will depend on the postage cost but it will be similar to the Mechanical Man.

He fits the bill exactly of my interest in 3D printing: a vintage robot with history, but one that has never seen the light of day in a working toy robot format. He has real presence, if I say so myself.

IMG_3995.JPGIMG_3993.JPGIMG_3994.JPGIMG_3992.JPG

IMG_3996.JPG

Very impressive

29 minutes ago, Brian.. said:

He has real presence, if I say so myself.

And I totally agree, top job.  

Very impressive indeed Brian, Uncle Joe would be proud if he had it in his armoury! Seriously though, its a cracking looking Robot and one I would be very happy to own one:eusa_clap:.:cheers::eusa_clap:

Archived