Russian Robot Project

Jonydroid

23 hours ago, MetalRobotHead said:

Interesting, Spark, I feel a 3D robot may be appearing before long. The link you included has loads of interesting images

russian1960-x640.jpg

Looks like the web page with the article is no longer avaiable, but yes very cool candidates for a retro style 3d printing

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian, here's how I see it, as a toy, of course. Now it's quick and dirty, no quality graphics here...

The head is oval, not round, the legs are also oval. The legs actually slide over a stationary hip cylinder, the hips do not rotate. Each side of the hip is slotted; the leg linkage rides from the motor in the body, down through the legs, in a striding motion. The leg tubes slide back and forth riding on the outside of the hip cylinder. To make it look cleaner, the top of each leg could have a flat, curved flap the extends before and after to hide the slots. Now, if you wanted to, there could possibly be a crankshaft that runs through the hip, and the internal linkage, that would connect to the side hip gears/caps, that would cause them to rotate as the legs swung back and forth.

The feet running on caterpillar treads seems impractical, so flat feet would be substituted. Since there are already two lamps on the head, I imagine the large object on the chest as a huge dial, or guage.

Russian robot006.jpg-soviet-robots.jpg

Some interesting ideas, Brady. I'd go with the oval arms and legs.  You've also filled in some missing details on the back of the robot that look good. I like the backpack. Your hips are generous - Kardashian ass size.

For me the interesting challenge is that barrel hip walking structure: it's the same as on the Scoops robot and on the Houdini robot, so it's one I'd like to master. I see your solution is to avoid having the hip rotate by letting the leg move inside a slot. But I want the whole hip/leg to move. I agree the tracked feet are a step too far, but it would be simple to give a cosmetic track decoration. Annoyingly the foot has no backward projection, making it potentially unstable. The artist didn't have to worry about balance.

I've done some work on this style of robot in an attempt to get the Scoops robot walking but I haven't got there yet. Here are some doodles:

sov1.jpg

Brian generally I am out of the robot collecting game but I have a birthday coming up soon so if this robot ever gets built I am putting in an early order, you can count me in.

Oh I nearly forgot

please.

BTW for what it's worth the hips, knee's and elbows have to be big, full of purpose almost oversized.

To my eye's this is a major feature with this robot.

On 11/03/2017 at 5:13 PM, Sparkrobot said:

Jonydroid did you try the link at the top of the first post in this topic It still works for me. 

Yep i did that was the 1st thing i did but nothing happened but now it´s working fine:thumbs:

44 minutes ago, Brian.. said:

Some interesting ideas, Brady. I'd go with the oval arms and legs.  You've also filled in some missing details on the back of the robot that look good. I like the backpack. Your hips are generous - Kardashian ass size.

For me the interesting challenge is that barrel hip walking structure: it's the same as on the Scoops robot and on the Houdini robot, so it's one I'd like to master. I see your solution is to avoid having the hip rotate by letting the leg move inside a slot. But I want the whole hip/leg to move. I agree the tracked feet are a step too far, but it would be simple to give a cosmetic track decoration. Annoyingly the foot has no backward projection, making it potentially unstable. The artist didn't have to worry about balance.

I've done some work on this style of robot in an attempt to get the Scoops robot walking but I haven't got there yet. Here are some doodles:

sov1.jpg

This is cool, nice work Brian:thumbs:

Brian, nice start, although, I do think the head should be oval, instead of round; there is much more room in the illustration between the "ears" and the cyclopean eye, allowing the row of rivets on both sides. Much like an early WWII lantern.

f176bb22a5b1a3d0a9314b4b7bb62c77.jpg

Yes, it's just a sketch to show up these anomalies. I go by look rather than measurement. An oval head will give more room between the eye and the ears.

Brian, I worked out the hip assembly. Now, bear with me here, I drew this at 3 AM...I couldn't sleep! The hip is composed of two nested cylinders, attached to a T structure that extends from the body. This T has an inner cylinder, the outer cylinder, with the upper leg attached, slides over that in a fairly snug fit. The top of each outer hip cylinder must have an opening to facilitate the leg actuators. Each actuator is shaped like an I beam in cross section for strength, as the center axle pin must pass through it. this is all held together by the end hubcaps. The upper openings in the outer cylinder will be covered by the front and back hip cowl extending from the upper body.

Yeah, I misspelled "axel", what do you expect when I'm half asleep. Ha! I just noticed in your exploded diagram, you are already heading in this direction anyway...oh well.

Russian robot007.jpg

Here are my thoughts for lighting...

The top is obviously a white LED, but the eye, is not a light, it's a camera lens, so it should probably be a gloss black . On each side of the chest in the original illustration are tiny lamps; I look at these like turn signals, they could be either red or amber flashing LEDs. The chest should be a huge voltage gauge, just a sticker would do.

Body plastic could be silver/gray.

Again, it's 4 AM now.

Russian robot008.jpg

Brady, I like your clarification of the details. We're not far apart on the hip design. I'll draw it up and show you. I'll need to make a test shot to see if it works. The arms will have to swing on this one: I promised myself moving arms!

Meanwhile I'm unclogging both printers - the only main failing of the bloody things. They are like the cars of my student days: they need constant tinkering.

Archived