Russian Robot Project

Jonydroid

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the legs are walking but he resembles a drunkard. The robot is very leggy and that's making him  top heavy. Tomorrow I'll post a video of his perambulations.

I think I need to give him longer feet. It's a pity but it's the price you have to pay for stability. I hate sacrificing accuracy but it is the best solution.

I spend 90% of the design time on these walking issues.  It's harder on this one because of the unique walking method. Offhand I can't think of a toy robot that has this barrel hip.

Building the balance into the model is the issue. This guy needs some:

There are just so many variables: the height of the motor and its forward/backward position, the length of the rear leg struts, the snug fit of the components, the angle of the legs ..... this is endlessly puzzling and entertaining.

Brian, Bigger feet with weights would help. 

Also you could.put dummy tracks on the side's of the feet.

These could work as the weights and stabilisers. 

This would also be an accurate copy of the original drawing of.the robot.

If you are feeling really innovative you could build the first 3D robot incorporating a gyroscope. ( that was a sort of joke)

Or go low tech and make him the first 3D easle back.

A bit ugly though.

Dunno, Brian, I think it looks pretty good, however, you are correct; the feet are too small for the build. Additionally, once you add the body, that will alter the center of gravity as well. Like Spark said; fleshing out the feet; widening them with the simulated treads, lengthening them just a tad, and some weight, may make a difference.

Wow! Looking good Brian.

Love the tracks.

I think as well as adding stability they will definitely enhance the foot design.

He got bigger!

Here he is in an early assembled state, alongside Scoops for scale. He walks slowly but steadily. The knees need more detail and the lights have to go in. There's scope for some decoration.

Black paint was lying around but I may reconsider. Plenty more to do but he looks very imposing. His name is, apparently, TYM or TUM. So bugger that, now he's "Man of Steel".

IMG_3983.JPG

IMG_3984.JPGIMG_3985.JPG

a.jpg

Oh...that is simply stunning! You really captured it, Brian, you just need to add the antenna. The legs look a bit beefier in the illustration though.

Do the arms swing? Are you going with a light instead of a voltage meter in the chest? Perhaps a transparent decal over that light?

i like him very much guys and what an amazing work Brian

i think he does not fit inside my showcase?

how many centimeters does he have in height? is he taller than the Mech 21?

cheers

He's 38 cm tall, or 15 inches. Way bigger that Mechanical man 1921. The arms are movable and I hope to hook them up to the motor. There's quite a bit of tinkering to be done on him.

Archived