Russian Robot Project

Jonydroid

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've moved this off to a topic of its own. I hope that some of you may find it interesting to see the progress of this project.

Here's my first design. It has the hips moving back and forward as smooth as silk.  

The main problem is fitting the inner strut - a rod running inside the leg that's needed to keep the foot parallel to the floor. On a large (14 inch) robot this would be fairly straightforward but I'd like to keep this robot smaller, so I need to use a wire strut. This could be my undoing, but I just need to work out how to do it. Big robots take a LONG time to print.

Hips.jpg

Hmmm...the problem with this is that you won't have the long strut extending through the body, like a tin robot, and I believe that's where the crankshaft for the arms attaches, for the swinging action. How small are you going for? I was guessing around 11 inches tall.

Yes, about 11 ins. I'll plod on with the legs and deal with the arms if I get the fellow walking. The other details are the fun part.

So, you don't think this arrangement would work? It's not like he'd be taking big strides, I think the chest is large enough to clear the swinging extensions, and have room enough for a motor and battery pack.

Oh, and one detail; most Pogots have a spring antenna, I think that would work here as well, as opposed to wire.

Russian robot010.jpg

Oh yes, it would work fine but you don't need the strut. The body will hold the axle for the arms and a link will make them move.  The arms won't swing at the angle you've drawn, though - there's too much leverage if they're held out straight.

I like the idea of articulating the arms at the elbow; that would give more scope for posing the robot. I'd also like to put a little bend in the legs so they're not too static.

Spring antennas sound good. I wonder where they can be sourced?

I printed a pair of legs last night. Twelve hours printing but they failed in the last half hour. It can be frustrating. It's another reason for keeping the size within limits.

For the feet, are you going to simulate the caterpillar treads to match the original design?

As for the springs, John put one on the Mexican robot he built last year, perhaps he would know where to get them. Possibly hardware store or a supply surplus site might have them.

Yes, simulated tracks, Brady. Too fiddly to make them real - for now, anyhow. There's no point me moving on until these legs take their first walk.

Wobbly. I need to redesign the ankle joint to give the structure some stability. I'm also finishing the Republic Robot and printing off a Space Patrol robot so progress is slow.

Archived