Republic Robot Project

Brian..

Hey Brian, don't get on Alphadrome much any more since I have been focusing on 1:6 scifi action figures. I see you did a round version of Republic Robot. Looks cool!!!  Would be interested in learning what your plans are going forward for production, as I had a version in development to go with my coming Republic Pictures ("Radar Men from the Moon" spacemen and "Purple Monster" Martian) serials action figures. Don't want to duplicate someone else.

Sounds interesting. laserman. What exactly are you planning?

Well, I've done most of the work so I will offer this in the near future.  I thought about producing a smaller version but the more I look at it, the more I like the big 14 inch original. That will tie up the printers for a long time, though.

I'm currently working on adding the detail that breaks up those large panels. The computer struggles to handle nearly a thousand rivets!

Brian, I will PM you more about this. Essentially, I have been working on preparing a action figure line for my business from the Republic SciFi serials. Commando Cody has already been done by others. But there are quite a few other intriguing characters (in addition to the water heater robot) that have a cult following. Bob Burns, of "Bob's Basement" television show fame, has been helping me with source material on the costumes and props.

My robot version was to be 1:6 scale (roughly the size of your 14 inch version). He, unlike yours was going to be just pose-able with lights. yet static. I have some elements of mine started, but have been preoccupied with other product lines. I  really do like yours and his movement better--  I do want to buy one!!   Are you going to make yours more oval in shape vs round like the Serial version?

My website is: www.bobstoyboxstudios.com   which shows what I have been working on. 

robot menace.jpg

That's an impressive box. Your plans sound exciting.

I knew about the oval shape but this presented a problem. Basically it's either oval with fewer rivets or round with lots of rivets. They are applied using an automation process that works on circles but is a bugger on ovals. I will try to get a more authentic shape but for me it's not a deal breaker. Most people don't even realise it's oval.

• 2 months later...

Brian,

Any progress on the Republic Robot?

I'd be interested in yours as my project got stalled for other tasks.

Bob

Archived