Republic Robot Project

Brian..

This is just one of those bizarre robots that find their way into sci-fi movies. I just love the tin trash can look of this B movie favourite. It appears in a variety of shapes: Republic, Satan, Zombie and it's even called Gort. It's so bad it's good. My wife calls it the dustbin and begs me to put it in one.

There's still plenty to do on this fellow but I thought I'd show you this first stage. It needs decorating with panels and lots more rivets (I am the rivet king),  a little light in the chest, the body needs dropping towards the knees, resizing of the limbs.  Then I need to find out how to paint it to put some variety into the finish.

It's also rather large: 14 inches or 35 cm -  an unexpected byproduct of the new slower motor that I've chosen. I thought there would be problems with balance, but it ambles along just fine.

Sorry, I can't produce this fellow in any sort of quantity at the moment. Later on I will refine the files and begin thinking about it.

Republic 1.jpg

Brian

Absolutely brilliant.

You have cornered the market with producing 3D copies of obscure robots.Also the request I made on the other post that if the Russian robot you and Brady are designing ever gets built in numbers then please put me down for one.

Cheers! Here it is in (hesitant) motion.

If I change the hat it's the Satan Robot from Star Trek:

I like the hesitant motion.

It sort of gives him an out of control menace.

I have never seen that Star Trek episode.

Brian did The Satan robots originally feature in an old

B movie or Flash Gordon series?

Fantastic work! I think the slow shuffle adds menace, I like it. Also, I need the title or number of that Star Trek episode, that looks awesome!

On March 13, 2017 at 10:58 AM, robothut said:

The doctor satin version is not round , here is my full scale build. I made many of these for hipsters in LA over the years.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/1940gort.html

Any chance one of those is the one they used in the Voyager episode, John? 

Wonderful Brian as always

anything you decide to produce 'en mass' 

please add me to the list , love these old robots

I had resin models of many of these once but too static 

These would be a joy to own  :biggrin:

Archived