Polish: Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax // Mr. Flash

Martian Gil

Hola, 

8 or 9 months back, I found a great little Mr. Flash.  

This week, I treated him to a new battery cover and decided to clean him up a bit.

I have some of the Novus Product on order to work with, but I started tinkering a bit with a few other items in my shop...

I settled on sampling a couple test areas with an old bottle of 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer w/ Wax.   One thing led to another - I ended up giving him a good going over.   I avoided getting the product on the chrome painted parts and eyes / ears.

I used cotton and hand to apply and polish - I also used regular and hobby fine pointed q-tips for hard to get to areas.

Here are a few pics showing some before and after shots.

This can be moved to the tips section, whenever needed - 

Cheers, 

DSC03415.JPG

DSC01374.JPG

Looks great! How was the experience of opening a Mr. Flash? I know there are two screws in the back but I always thought opening him would break the ears. Did you split the ears or did they come apart in two pieces?

Thanks Joao!  He's gleaming now!

Don, he came apart rather easily-  caveat... his dome was broken loose before I found him.  

I think that would be the only problem with an intact Flash.

From what I can tell with mine, I think that the dome is glued / chemically welded all around its setting.

If you had to work on one, I would use an excto to cut around the back side - and leave it attached to his front..  I hope that makes sense.

The ears are two pieces, and there are also a total of 4 screws.  Two are up high in the batt compartment.  

His mechs aren't as well built as earlier Japanese robot, but it is a very well built robot.  Still some quality there!

Thanks Xerox & Robodude!

Rich, does the dome on your Mr. Flash seem glued all the way around?

• Brian.. changed the title to Polish: Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax // Mr. Flash

Archived