Motor: i need help to fix the spring motor

Jonydroid

Hi, i am restoring this Horikawa Gear Robot, and this guy have an non working spring, i turn the key but nothing happens, only the tac tac sound, the spring does not gain strength, do any of you know how i could solve this? i took a few pics,

thank you

cheers

IMG_20170303_120629_1.jpg

IMG_20170303_121641.JPG

IMG_20170303_124336_1_1488545151998.jpg

IMG_20170303_120612_1.jpg

It sounds like a broken spring, Joao.

I know that springs can be replaced without dismantling the engine. There's a slot on the inner end of the spring that attaches to a hook on the motor shaft. You then wind the new spring into the motor by turning the key, and then fit that notched end of the spring into the slot on the motor casing. You turn the end of the spring by 90 degrees and it slips into the notch. Try to avoid opening the motor or you'll have a jigsaw puzzle of bits.

You should practise on an old motor from a junker and you'll see what I mean. John may have better advice on this technique but it does work and saves hours.

Yes what happens is the where the spring attaches to the drive shaft is the tightest bend in the spring metal and so that's where it breaks. I have always taken them apart to re attached the spring, But it sounds like Brian's way would work also ! One thing, if it is proper spring steel then when you go to make the new tight bend to attach it to the shaft the you will find that the spring metal will probably snap off, you will need to in temper the metal at the end that you plan to bend. You can do this by heating just that end part of the spring with a flame and let it cool off slowly. Makes all the difference in the world as to how easy it is to do.

Thank you Brian and John,:thumbs:

i never did something like this before and i wanted to do the easier and simpler way, i think this is a steel spring, 

so, first thing to do is to see where the end of the spring is, or, was attached.

cheers

Hey Joao - I had a similar issue with an SY Space Man - the spring snapped at the winding gear.  

John's suggestion about heating the spring was dead on for my robot.  I tried a couple times without & snapped it. 

Heating and bending did the trick, but you'll need to take it apart.

Take pics and note the gear placement - a great rainy afternoon project.

Or, get a clunker robot and change the entire clockwork?

20170303_150104.jpg

Hi Kirk if could get a new spring motor that would help a lot, i have a sparkling mike robot but i broke the spring too so that one i think it won´t help much, 

i need to see if i can get the spring out without disassemble all that, all depends on the difficulty that I will find. Anyway thanks a lot for helping me.

• Brian.. changed the title to Motor: i need help to fix the spring motor

Archived