Mobile Space Tv Variation?

SpaceBoy67

But first, I wanna talk about Thunders. Just kidding! :P

Hopefully, I've sucessfully attached a picture of what appears to be a variation to Nomura's Mobile Space TV Unit. I scanned through several of the popular reference books and I haven't been able to find this variation listed anywhere. Have any of you seen this one before?

TVSpace1.jpg

TVSpace1.jpg

not too sure of the exact name though...can anyone help out here?

spaceman on space tractor?

space tractor with spaceman?

mobile space tractor with mobile spaceman!!

HELP!

There is a trailer hitch on the back of the main unit, so presumably there was a battery trailer originally. Of course, the actual battery trailer is long gone for this particular unit.

This very rare variation appears in Kitahara's Yesterdays Tin Toys and it also appears with its even rarer box in a not too long ago Antique Toy World magazine. I have held both the complete toy with box and it is grand.

Your memory's better than mine, Steve! You're right. The August 2001 issue of ATW featured a grand five page article by Jack Herbert showcasing twelve Japanese space toys from Ira Eckstein's collection. The caption that accompanied the photo reads:

"Nomura offered this delightful SPACE TV UNIT in 1955, which came complete with its own antenna trailer. It is an extremely rare space vehicle, seen here perched atop what may be the only known original box to still exist for this toy."

The box artwork matches the toy, exactly. It reads:

"Battery Powered

Space T.V. Unit

Actions

Mystery Action

Moving TV Screen

Rotating Antenna"

The later(?) variation was called "Mobile Space T.V. Unit with Trailer".

Joe, any chance of getting a scan of that article? You can email it to me (my email is listed in the member directory here) and I'd be forever indebted!

Jeff-the Space T.V. Unit is a magnificent piece in its own right. In fact one of the finest space-toys I have had the pleasure of seeing. Being rare only adds to its luster. Yet I still do not want to see it being reproduced. Several thousand cheap knock-offs will only tarnish the original. The Pieta in the Vatican is the finest piece of art I have ever seen. I certainly have no desire to own a fake statue of it. I appreciate the original whether I own it or not and leave it at that-a very pleasent memory. I have been very fortunate to have been able to handle many great and rare robots from various master collections. I've come away with a nice and yes wistful feeling - but not a desire to see every rare piece reproed to suit an instant gratification. The originals have a history, a vintage behind them that can not be reproed.

Let me add that I would like to see today's repro makers create new original robots and spacetoys. Let these newly designed toys become tomorrow's vintage collectables.

Joe, any chance of getting a scan of that article?  You can email it to me (my email is listed in the member directory here) and I'd be forever indebted!

Ken - Your "packet" went out this morning. Let me know when it arrives. Hey, maybe then, you can post a photo of the box!

Thanks for sending me that article Joe! I'll have to get busy in Photoshop and see if I can't whip together a box design real quick! :D

Archived