Saucerbot 27

Andyman

Saucerbot 27- I agonized over this one. It took months of parts picking, LED and battery placement and failed paint jobs to get this piece to fruition. I considered scrapping it at least a couple of times. Even when I finished it I still felt something was missing. As I was setting up my photo booth to take pictures I notice these heavy duty springs my brother had given me about a year ago. That's when I decided this baby needs a base. Ironically, I made the base in a day. POOF! The whole thing came together. Parts list includes, anniversary clock base, stove drip pan, electric motor casings, faucet handles parts, LEDs scavenged from Xmas lights and flameless candles, army surplus uniform badging, hard drive platter and plastic dome. Base features heavy duth spring, saucepan lid, pocket watch housing and neodymium magnets from a hard drive. The magnets are what hold the saucer to it's base.

I present to you, Saucerbot 27! Enjoy!

SB27-01 sm.jpgSB27-08 sm.jpg

SB27-07 cu.jpgSB27-18 sm.jpg

2 hours ago, robothut said:

Looks great Andy. Now that you are fully into LED lighting we need to get you into some basic movement designs as well.

For the record, John...I am not "fully" into LED lighting. This one just happened to lend itself to it. I hate having to deal with wires and batteries.

2 hours ago, Martian Gil said:

Very cool Andy!   is a fuel filter used in his body?  It looks great.

That's actually a white plastic gear.

Thanks, everybody!

You may hate dealing with it but now that you have done it so well your public might demand it ! Such if life, no good dead goes in punished.

8 hours ago, robothut said:

You may hate dealing with it but now that you have done it so well your public might demand it ! Such if life, no good dead goes in punished.

Says the man with the 3D printer. :biggrin:

Great saucer Andy! Just a perfect combination of finishes that tickle the aesthetic. Nice color and continuity with the pilot and his ship.  Cockpit blinkies are always appreciated! 

I've had a great first coat of paint ruined when the second coat bubbles up and has to be stripped and sanded. Glad you stuck with it.

-Steve

21 hours ago, Steve's Bots and Rays said:

Great saucer Andy! Just a perfect combination of finishes that tickle the aesthetic. Nice color and continuity with the pilot and his ship.  Cockpit blinkies are always appreciated! 

I've had a great first coat of paint ruined when the second coat bubbles up and has to be stripped and sanded. Glad you stuck with it.

-Steve

That's exactly what happened to me. I had a perfect paint job going and I was putting down the clear coat. On the way in from my garage where I was doing that, i accidentally bumped the door jam on the way in. It wasn't a serious mark so i thought I would just go back out and touch it up with a few more sprays of clear coat. BIG MISTAKE! Now I know why you wait between coats as fresh spray on a recently applied coat causes the finish it to crinkle. Yup, I had to strip it all down and start again from the beginning. Frustrating!

Thanks again for all you nice comments, everybody!

Archived