Directional Robot disectional...

Martian Gil

Since we are in a blizzard today, I moved on to another itch that needed scratched.

my Directional came to me with some light cosmetic damage - from batteries being left in the robot!  ugh.  

It was the right robot at the right time - and, he's a looker.

The switch was also affected - today, while snow flew, I tore into him.  It was more gentle than it sounded.

DSC00980.JPG

Here is a shot of the incredible motor / drive setup for this robot.

Very cool - :thumbs:

And while I was intimidated by thinking about opening him up - it was very cool to see how he's put together.

Solid construction, and just an incredible design.   Seriously - check out that motor - the power pickup is on the shaft, right under the blue wires - the contacts are on the battery box.   cool, eh? 

I assume that the other batt op skirts use a similar design, but I haven't opened any others.  ;)

DSC00983.JPG

The fix itself was pretty simple - only complicated because of the location of the problem.

But, I was able to at least clean up (as much as possible) the inner damage from the battery indecent from before I got him.

I got power back to where it needed to go - while not replacing anything - or wrecking anything.   bonus!      

DSC00986.JPG

So, I have another "not perfect" robot for the time being. 

But now he packs an extra little heft in his punch.

I posted this little adventure because I couldn't find much on cracking this fellow open.

I shot more pics - if anyone is interested in specific shots, message me and I will share.

Cheers all, 

DSC00988.JPG

Well done my friend. And thanks for the new pics of the inside. I am sure they will be helpful to some future repairman. Not perfect? That robot is beautiful!

Thanks Robert, I recall messaging with you when I got this bugger!

In the interest of full disclosure - beautiful, but scarred.  The battery corrosion hit his inside back worse that his exterior - on the outside, he's got a little trail down and outside his battery box.

Now cleaned up a little bit - and now ready for another year or two.   :cheers:

DSC00979.JPG

Great job! And very beautiful robot!

i worked on this same version about a year ago and was also impressed by the engine. Took it all apart to clean up the inside, full of dried up oil and grease, it run like crazy afterwards. This older version engine is much different from other yonezawa skirted robots that use bump and go like mr robot and the other later version of directional, fantastic heavy engine it is!

MG very impressive maintenance job.

I think l these repair posts are worthy of a separate section.

Perhaps

Robot Maintenance and Repair.

This drive unit design was used even on the very early MR robots, then they switched two the standard bump and go design where the motor is not built into the drive wheels. Also the Gang of 5 Non Stop Lavender robot has the same type motor built in drive wheel unit but I have seen a Machine Man gang robot that does not use the built in design but uses the standard bump and go design.

MALOO there are many of these inside repair threads here on Alphadrome threw the years, you just have to find them. Try and find this one 2 years from now as a test.

44 minutes ago, robothut said:

This drive unit design was used even on the very early MR robots, then they switched two the standard bump and go design where the motor is not built into the drive wheels. Also the Gang of 5 Non Stop Lavender robot has the same type motor built in drive wheel unit but I have seen a Machine Man gang robot that does not use the built in design but uses the standard bump and go design.

MALOO there are many of these inside repair threads here on Alphadrome threw the years, you just have to find them. Try and find this one 2 years from now as a test.

Lol, finding them was the real issue John.   :breakit:-

I tried several variations of "Directional robot repair" and found nothing quire similar.  Funk had a great post with some nice pics and great info from you as well.

I don't want to create redundant posts, so if there is something that I should do differently, I sure will. 

Cheers

15 hours ago, Martian Gil said:

Thanks Robert, I recall messaging with you when I got this bugger!

In the interest of full disclosure - beautiful, but scarred.  The battery corrosion hit his inside back worse that his exterior - on the outside, he's got a little trail down and outside his battery box.

Now cleaned up a little bit - and now ready for another year or two.   :cheers:

DSC00979.JPG

Kirk, the Green Directional, while not super rare is a highly desired robot and much rarer than the blue version. While yours may have some small flaws it is a perfectly working  displayable piece. A real gem in any collection!

Archived