Catalog: 1962 Cragstan Industries Catalog "A"

Joe K.

Joe, from my database, here are a few other items that I believe are S&E space toys.

ROCKET LAUNCHER TRUCK WITH FRICTION ROCKET

PLANET CRUISER UN751

FLYING JEEP WITH MYSTERY ACTION

POP POM SPACE TANK

SS-18 SPACE SHIP (VARIATION OF X-5) I've seen this with an M logo, I think. That might be a clue, Holmes.

I've no idea what the S&E represents, though.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the S&E logo consisits of "S" and "&" and "E" (the "E" looks like a backwards "3") in a single, solid diamond outline, William C. Gallagher's book, Japanese Toys, identifies this logo as the Suzuki and Edwards Co. Ltd.

I've found this to be a common practice, a toy company makes thier own version of a saucer and then adds some variation to the basic design when they do a run to be marketed under an importers label.

This was a real revelation to me, FJW.

And it got me thinking about the X-15 saucer. I've looked through all my books & catalogs and reviewed all the recent color variation posts about this toy. They all show the Yoshiya <KO> box and toy. Has anyone ever seen a Cragstan labeled box for this toy? One with the catalog # 76802 in the lower left hand corner of the rectangular shaped Cragstan label on the box lid. (It was common practice for the various catalog numbers to be placed there on the different toys).

The photo in the Cragstan catalog is slightly different than the pieces that actually hit the shelves. Specifically, the "sparking" area between the fin and the rear of the dome.

Were there, in fact, two versions of this toy? (not counting the red/green variations, that is).

Good question Joe! - I did just come across this interesting box for the Z-26. This is the first time I've seen a Cragstan box for either of these two "cousins". The really interesting part about this box is that the saucer in the artwork on the box is actually an illustration of the X-15 with Z-26 written on it. Also your catalog text for the "power friction flying saucer with sparks" (X-15) says that the toy "races along" and the saucer is illustrated with lines that suggest that the toy moves very quickly in a straight line. In production the X-15 became a crank wound mechanism producing a tight hovering action with a small bump 'n go type device. The Z-26 is on the other hand, is a simple friction toy that moves in a straight line much like the saucer in your catalog.

post-4-1106714648.jpg

Interesting, Don.

And one more observation...

As a general rule (for a certain period of time), the boxes that carried the Cragstan name all had the same basic look. The toy was depicted against a rather stark background, sometimes just a white background, and the edges of the lid were outlined in red. The name Cragstan preceeded the name of the toy and the red & black Cragstan label was positioned in the lower left hand corner of the box lid and usually included the catalog number for that particular toy. The actual manufacturer of the toy (Yonezawa, Yoshiya, Alps, etc) had their logo/name in the lower right hand corner of the box top. The Cragstan Flying Saucer box in your post above is a good example.

There are always exceptions to the rules, of course.

See the box pictured in Vintage Toys, page 34, for the Yoshiya Flying Saucer with Space Pilot. It's the same as the one you posted above, FJW, but the Cragstan label (perhaps just a sticker?) has been added to the lower left hand corner. You can even make out the Cragstan catalog #: 40233. The bottom edge of the lid has a blue band with the slogan "It's Cragstan for toys" written all around.

I wonder exactly which version of the toy came inside?

Your observation, Don, might also explain the different boxes for the Yoshiya Moon Explorer. See the Sotheby's/Griffith catalog, page 111. The box design on the left has all the earmarks of a Cragstan imported toy (except for the omitted Cragstan name) while the "fancier" box on the right may have been Yoshiya's own release. It would also explain the color variations of the toys themselves.

Also see this Alphadrome ROBOTS listing that shows the Cragstan box for their version on the Moon Explorer:

http://www.danefield.com/alpha/robots/komoonexp.htm

• 3 years later...

Here's a 1962* Aldens retail catalog with a few of the Cragstan robots and space toys depicted in the wholesale Cragstan Industries Catalog "A":

http://cgi.ebay.com/1962-ALDENS-Pre-Holida...tem370067466973

* While the catalog cover is not dated, the auction listing shows page 2 of the catalog. At the bottom of that page it states: "Copyright 1962 by Aldens, Inc. Printed in U.S.A."

Here's a 1962 Aldens retail catalog with a few of the Cragstan robots and space toys depicted in the wholesale Cragstan Industries Catalog "A":

post-143-1219809460.jpg

post-143-1219809482.jpg

• Brian.. changed the title to Catalog: 1962 Cragstan Industries Catalog "A"

Archived