Catalog: 1962 Cragstan Industries Catalog "A"

Joe K.

See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5946290946&rd=1

The unusual Mr. Atomic prototype is the key to the date of this catalog. I'd say 1962. There are other prototype pieces here, too. Check out the all grey, not red, Cragstan Great Astronaut.

Depicted are:

Mr. Atomic

*Space Commander Ship (X-15 Space Saucer) - see Future Toys, item #361.

Cragstan's Mr. Robot

*Satellite with Animal Astronaut - see Sotheby's/Griffith Catalog, item #334(center).

*Cragstan Astronaut - see Future Toys, item #155.

*Cragstan Flying Saucer - see Future Toys, item #180.

Cragstan Astronaut - see Future Toys, item #136.

*Firebird III - see Vintage Toys, page 94.

Moon Explorer

Cragstan Space Mobile/Lunar Patrol - see Future Toys, item #365.

Cragstan Great Astronaut - see Future Toys, item #135.

* = New to the TIMELINE

And a couple I have no idea about. I'll "edit" this list as they become identified.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very intersesting that the Mr Atomic only has nine lights. Maybe this one really works like the box description with the lights actually cycling on and off one by one. Another thing I remember about Mr Atomic in the older days of collecting was the rumor about a shorter version being made. It could be that someone had seen a prototype like this one?

And one last thing about Mr Atomic, I have heared that some Mr Atomics had plastic feet. I have never seen one but have heared accounts from other collectors.

I wonder what else is in this catalog? Anyone care to take up a collection to find out?

I have heard that some Mr Atomics had plastic feet. I have never seen one but have heard accounts from other collectors.

Here's the thread from last year:

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.ph...77&hl=mr+atomic

The photos show a prototype with a broken right foot. The shape of the break could only look like that, if the foot was made of plastic.

I was hoping to bid on this catalog for the Museum. If I am the "high bidder", any assistance in defraying the cost would be greatly appreciated!!! We'll see...

Thanks for adding the photos, plasticaugie!

Isn't that just a greyscale image?

If that were the case, wouldn't the plate below the TV screen be grey, too? And the arms should be black.

The Moon Explorer image is greyscale.

Here is Brian's write-up on Mr Atomic

http://danefield.com/alpha/robots/atomic.htm

He mentions the plastic feet too, I wonder if he has actually seen one or like me just heared about it?

Another thing is that there currently is two suppossed Mr Atomics on ebay right now. Both are very good to near mint, what are the odds of this?!?!? Anyway it is very clear that Mr Atomic is only worth a small fraction of the pre MTH/OTTI repops that have marginalized this piece.

Joe, we can't let this catalog get away, let's work something out.

I just read the old thread you posted Joe. It appears that both nine light versions are prototypes and this is probably where the plastic feet info comes from.

The thread also goes into what role cragstan actually played in the design/developement of their products. I have been told that Mr Atomic is actually a Tomiyama toy and this info is also in the back of the Morita book. Anyone know anymore about this?

I would say that it now appears as if the all tin silver version Mr Atomic is becoming a rather common robot but an auction for one of these prototypes might push Mr Atomic back to the Topolino/Diamond Planet level.

I wonder what else is in this catalog?

I e-mailed the seller asking if any more robots and space toys were depicted in the catalog. Here's his response:

"With the exception of one raygun, all of the space toys are shown on the one two page spread. Thanks for your interest."

plasticaugie, in the days when Mr Atomic was THE robot to find (pre reproduction, pre ebay - very exciting times characterised by massive ignorance and mystery) I missed out on one at an antiques fair.  I noticed the feet were mere shells, the plastic tops had completely shattered.

That's a great first hand account Brian. I think the plastic foot version is a rare variation as this is the third one that I have heared of. Do you know if it had 9 lights or the usual? I think that all the plastic feet versions had 9 lights and were in fact not a prototype as was previously thought. These are the truly rare versions that also probably had better actions (blinking lights not just a color wheel).

The two Mr Atomics listed on ebay currently to the best of my ability appear to be vintage and thus prove that Mr Atomic is indeed a relatively common robot.

I had posted a Cragstan ad from a March 1962 "Playthings" magazine a year or two ago. It has a picture of this Mr. Atomic version in black and white. It's fun to see what the colors are. I'd have never guessed form the picture. I still think he's a magical little fellow in any of his incarnations. I so clearly remember picking mine up off the Lazarus shelf in 1962, thrilled that I could afford to buy him at $2.99. I like to think of him living over in Italy now with his current owner. That gray Cragstan Great Astronaut is fun too. I think they made a lot of good decisions as they worked through the samples on these toys, improving them with every step!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived