Catalog: 1962 Cragstan Industries Catalog "A"

Joe K.

post-4-1106330475.jpgHere are the robots and space toys up close.

The vertical glare line is part of the original catalog photo.

I can't help but wonder if those six "buttons" (lights, perhaps) below Mr. Atomic's name served any particular function? And, were these arms stationary? They look like it, to me.

post-4-1106330475.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-4-1106330856.jpgNot only does the physical appearance of the toy sometimes change by the time it makes it to the toy store shelves, so does it's name.

Here, the "Power Friction Flying Saucer with Sparks" became "Space Commander Ship".

The "Mystery Robot" was marketed and boxed as "Cragstan's Mr. Robot".

post-4-1106330856.jpg

post-4-1106331016.jpgPower Friction Giant Astronaut = Cragstan Astronaut

A photo of the elusive box for this toy can be found in the Sotheby's/Matt Wyse auction catalog (11/7/96), item #199. The Cragstan catalog # 72806 can be seen in the lower left hand corner of the box lid.

Power Friction Animal Satellite = Satellite with Animal Astronaut

This toy and it's box is pictured in the Sotheby's/Griffith auction catalog (12/9/00), page 110, item #334 center. Again, the Cragstan catalog # 78800 can be seen in the lower left hand corner of the box lid.

post-4-1106331016.jpg

post-4-1106331098.jpgPerhaps this one eventually became the "Saturn N-135" or "Saturn N-137" (see Future Toys, #215 & 212) or the "Flying Jeep N-365" (see Baby Boomer Toys and Collectibles by Carol Turpen, page 39).

Was a "two-fin, two-seater" version ever made?

post-4-1106331098.jpg

post-4-1106331248.jpgI couldn't find an exact match for either of these toys in any of my books or catalogs, especially the X-5 Space Scout Car. Can anyone else?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

See Brian's post below...

post-4-1106331248.jpg

post-4-1106331414.jpgPower Friction Astronaut = Cragstan Astronaut (Moon Explorer). See this Alphadrome ROBOTS listing for a picture of the seldom seen box for this variation:

http://www.danefield.com/alpha/robots/komoonexp.htm

Battery Mystery Action Spacemobile = Cragstan Space Mobile.

A two-tone paint job, rotating antenna and the words "Lunar Patrol 1" were added to the final product. See Future Toys, page 200, item #365. The Cragstan catalog #72840 is clearly visible on the box lid.

post-4-1106331414.jpg

No greyscale here, Pagnott. It's a prototype Cragstan Great Astronaut based on the Alps Television Spaceman. See Future Toys, page 95 for the red & black version we are more familiar with. Again, the Cragstan catalog #71807 is in the lower left hand corner of the box lid. The Alps logo is in the lower right hand corner.

post-4-1106333021.jpg

post-4-1106333594.jpgAnd finally, the only other space toy in the entire 24 page catalog, this Atomic Gun (the obvious weapon of choice for "you know who"!)

post-4-1106333594.jpg

Just to answer one of the above questions -- One version of the Cragstan Flying Saucer did, in fact, smoke.

Neat. Though I think I'd be a bit worried if I were blasting through the galaxy and smoke started pouring out my rocket engines... There aren't really any service stations out by Jupiter.

My understanding is that the only smoking version of the "Yoshiya Flying Saucer with Space Pilot" is the one they did for Cragstan. In other words, if it smokes it was marketed as a Cragstan and if it doesn't it was marketed as a Yoshiya. I've found this to be a common practice, a toy company makes thier own version of a saucer and then adds some variation to the basic design when they do a run to be marketed under an importers label. Also of note is that the Cragstan version has no spiral antenna.

post-4-1106427562.jpg

I do have an exact match for the X5 Space Car by S&E.

S&E?

Would that be Suzuki & Edwards?

That's a new on me, Brian. Did they produce any other space toys that you're aware of?

Archived