Horikawa wind up Gear Robot disassembling

Jonydroid

Hi

I started to disassemble this robot due to the state it is in,

a lot of rust, so I will restore this little friend,

as for the spring motor it does not work and I do not even know if I can get it out of the body,

since one of the arms Is stuck by the rope plate and the gears,

maybe i just restore the exterior appearance, paint and new chrome.

fixing the the wind-up motor is way more complicated than i imagined...

at least the interior is in much better condition than outside wich is a good thing, 

so for now i will put him on a rust removal bath to pass to the next stage, 

IMG_20170123_173659.jpg

39 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Hi 

He does not look too bad really, I would just clean him up as good as possible and put him back together if he was mine. 

Cheers

Well pics are a bit deceiving, he's a bit worse than he looks, trust me, head, arms, ears, mouth they are really bad, maybe after the rust removal bath gets better,..

IMG_20170123_173537.jpg

The spring looks ok as it is still attached and not snapped. Dont try to remove it, its damn tricky to rewind.I would soak the whole mech in WD40. ( i would not recommend that if electrics or plastic were involved) and let it stand for a day or so. It is amazing how these things can be inched back into life. also just try wiping the rust with the WD and see if it is mainly surface rust without resorting to hard chemicals. It will kill any resale if you re chome, a bit of aging looks ok.

I would just slot it back together if the spring frees off and wait for a 

cheap one with a broken perspex front plate to turn up and mix and match to get the best bits.

cheers Chilli

I agree with chili---I have put WD 40 on a stuck clockwork mechanism and slowly got it working again the coils have a tendency to want to stick when they haven't moved for a long time----- GOOD LUCK !!!!!!:biggrin:

Hi

Well my good friends I will not take the spring motor out because I saw that it will distort the body of the robot and its consistency may be at risk,

just lubricate the moving parts of it, and that´s it, if the spring still doesn´t work after that it doesn´t matter, it will be a static robot :biggrin: then i need to see if the product that eliminates the Rust if it really complies with what it advertises and before applying on the whole robot I will only apply in a small part to see the results,

perhaps it is not even necessary to make a painting in some parts,  probably I have exaggerated in my previous comments on painting, Because I need to see the results first,  a few products wich could help with this rust problem, thanks Ranger Chilli and Red Swarf :thumbs:

25 minutes ago, SH MIKE said:

Carnauba Car Wax and your fingertip.

I'll second that - a couple of the Meguiar's car wax / glazes are outstanding - try #26.

For chromed parts gone bad on my old bikes I recently started use aluminum foil/paper, my wife told me the trick, she used to polish chromed horse saddle parts with it

just take a leaf and make it into a little ball and start polish. I haven't tried it on chromed robot parts like this horikawa his ears and mouth

but results on my bike parts are amazing! Even when the chrome is pitted the aluminum paper makes it shine like a mirror!!

aluminum is softer than the old chrome so it will not leave scratches.

That's gonna look amazing once you clean it up! Could you post some detail photos of the insides while you have him open?

Cheers,

Dave

• Brian.. changed the title to Horikawa wind up Gear Robot disassembling

Archived