Cragstan rotor robot repair !!!!!!

ROBODUDE

:thumbs:   Yahoo !!! I got my new Cragstan rotor robot in the mail today(Thanks Stan !) and I have the head off. Does anyone know the correct battery orientation in the battery box ??? also any operating instructions or so forth ???  I am hoping to get this guy going again and any insight anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated !!! The rubber band in the head is dry rotted , so that will have to be replaced--supposedly(from what I have read), you can turn on one side or the other So far there is no movement from the motor but I did not want to mess around too much without knowing which way the batteries are supposed to go. Any info or knowledge of this robot you could share with me is greatly appreciated Thanks again !!! Rich

Congrats on the new robot!   you're getting quite a nice collection growing.

Hopefully someone will chime in when they get a chance - 

Thanks MG !  I got him running and all the gears and motor are lubricated---I have a loose wire that I have to repair and the only other problem is that the pins in the feet have moved so that they are in line with each other--It wants to lurch forward instead of rocking side to side--I will have to unglue the feet to get at the inside mechanism,unless I can figure out a different way to address the forward movement--Thanks for the kind words, and have a great week !!!!   Rich

P.S.-- I emailed SH Mike as He has had some experience fixing this particular problem---I will keep you updated if I make any progress!!!

I haven't opened mine in years.   I know it did come apart enough to get to the feet.

I was able to adjust the cams so they were 180 degrees apart and then I moved the large thick

metal plates away from the cams.  They don't ping anymore but they won't shift the cams either.

I do remember that everything in the legs was loose and I had to play with it to get to the underside of the feet.

It has a lot of glued parts and screwed parts but it does go back together. I don't think it never came completely apart.

Thanks very much for the input !  I am going to dive in tonight when I get home from work--I will keep you posted, Thanks again !!!!    Rich

Just an update on this project--I got the feet apart, removed the clickers and reassembled the feet 180 degrees opposite each other. It walks awesome now !!:cheers: I have one more fix before the final reassembly--the rubber band fix in the head !!!  It drives the eyes and the original rubber band was dry rotted into a million pieces.   Wish me luck !!!!

Congrats Robodude!

Getting the robots to work and seeing that first movement  is the most satisfying  part of this hobby for me.

And probably for many others  too!

Thanks everyone !!  Yes, getting the old nonfunctioning robots going again is my favorite part of collecting them. I enjoy figuring out what is wrong and then coming up with different ways to try and fix the problems. Well, back to work !  Have a great day everyone :biggrin:   Rich

YEEEEHAW !!! As of this morning I am an owner of a fully functional Cragstan rotor robot !  The rubber band that drives the eyes was dry rotted into a million little chunks-so I had to figure a way to get a new band around the eye stalks and then around the drive axle on the motor that sits at a 90 degree angle to the eyestalk axles. Then,find a way to tighten the rubber band so it wouldn't just spin on the axle loosely. I got it fairly tight around all the axles, but it still just wanted to spin in place without driving the rubber band.....The solution ? Belt dressing from the auto store! It made the rubber band kind of tacky and also the drive axles too !!!  Worked like a charm and now the robot is fully functional. Have a great weekend everyone and thanks for the encouragement !   Rich

Hopefully the solvents in the "tar based" belt dressing will not have a negative effect on the styrene  plastic spindles in the long run.

Archived