Marx Erie Prototype Project

Brian..

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I pulled the picture of the robot, chaps, but I'm not happy with the head. Here are the body and legs. The head will be returned soon. :biggrin:

IMG_3953.JPGIMG_3954.JPG

That looks great, Brian. I spot some differences - angles in the feet, shape around where the legs join (It was rounded). I'm not sure if you are just making improvements with those changes.  I can't wait to see the head. What are you putting inside?  Have you designed arms yet? The eyes in the original were loose. I think that they were keeping lighted eyes in mind for some version. I also suspect that the nose was a possible switch, from the long hole it sat in.

Brian, I wanted to ask, is there a raised rim around the edge of your door frame? I thought I saw one. The original was just paint, but it felt lacking there as a missing detail the would have been resolved. The same thing with the mouth, it had painted on lipstick instead of a sculpted edge and it seemed unfinished. 

Oh, look at the door on the golden - a combination of the door of the Erie and the lightning on the MER. And the grille, like Erie, but squared off.

It's AMAZING we got two missing links on these robots inside a month and we didn't even know that there were links missing!

Yes, there's a lip around the door, and the mouth has been raised. I've not gone for an exact copy but for the next stage along. It seemed more appropriate.

Of course we can have more than one set of arms.

Brian, are you breaking it in half from front to back and then assembling? How do you get the mechanism in? I so wish I'd been able to see more inside! One thing I thought when I was looking at it was that the lip on the bottom of the neck ought to be attached to the body with the neck slipping inside of that. The way it was, the whole head rested on the shoulders with the weight resting on the body. It did work, but it seemed whatever attachment had been constructed was much too fragile, and was gone.

David, I found it easier to construct some robots by dividing them up, a bit like a plastic kit. The core body is a cube with just the sides in place. A panel snaps into the front and one into the back. The motor sits on a shelf that slides inside the cube (before the panels have been pushed in place.) The whole assembly of the body, legs and arms takes about 30 seconds with no glue needed. Of course a little glue is a long-term suggestion.

Printers are sub-millimetre accurate. The head can be made to pivot very precisely, though I haven't done this yet - it just presses in place. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Of course this robot will be cool with arms but I would be just happy with one like the original too, just as it was found. Maybe we need 2 each, one with arms and one without..... you had better get lots of spools of plastic in stock Brian!!

Brian, I'd love to see pictures of all the unassembled pieces. It sounds like a really interesting process. What have you got inside? You could get a lot of use out of a lantern robot, though I don't know what you'd do with the puffing.

Archived