In the meantime in the Dutch Caves......

marco

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi David....

Ha, sounds like a good alternative.

Ahh....retirement, it seems a far off distant dream!  Must be great to have little else to do 24/7 but build robots,paint etc.

1 hour ago, David Kirk said:

No Ranger, I don't see that in my future anytime soon. I need a few more hit books so I can retire. Even then, I think I might rather paint pretty girls.

You mean body painting on pretty girls !  That beats making robots outta plastic spaghettis !!! 

1 hour ago, target said:

Marco you need to make this battery operated for sure and a great price point for all the Alphadrome Members !

Oz was also a fore fighter for a battery operated one. Shit man, I will end up with all those windup mechanisms :) hahahaha

Let me first finish my first official MOCK UP ( love that word, no idea what it means LOL )  just kidding.
I can finish the robot both ways, windup or batt op or..  a combination of windup and batt functions.

This is what i had in mind from the start:  The moving function will be powered by clockwork and the lights ( read flint sparkling action ) and rotating antenna powered by a batt powered motor. I have figured out a special on / off switch for this that i want to test.. will show that when its ready.

The forward powering is not that difficult so the clockwork will be easy to replace by a batt op motor.. so optional that could be possible.

I will also do a mock up in orange... cant wait to see how that will look, but first things first.... " Gandalf the GREY " has to be finished first :)

Marco

2 hours ago, nasa said:

Mark, the eyebrows..you mean the blue part of the face ?

Marco, I was just kidding!  :biggrin:

Man oh man oh man oh man... My dear Mark... what have you started here hahahahah kidding in such a serious business hahahah.

Isnt that how Z - Man also started the Desolation of Danefield ? :-).... The ArkenStone is what he really wants I guess...

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away a break of day
To find our long forgotten gold

The pines were roaring on the height
The winds were moaning in the night
The fire was red, it flaming spread
The trees like torches blazed with light

The bells were ringing in the dale
And men they looked up with faces pale
The dragon's ire more fierce than fire
Laid low their towers and houses frail

:-)

Marco

31e39cebaa23fc3e7a6891dd093027f9.jpg

Yes THAT would be something :) 

Cool, LOVE the Hobbit movies !
In the meantime I had Martijn visited the caves today. always bringing new energy and 234 new ideas to start with but for which i will probably never have the time in this life :)
anyway.. progressing a petit peut on the " KING UNDER THE PRINTER  "  today... :-)
Demain I will start with the head and the hardest part, the eyebrowes for Nasa :)

Really starts to look like a robot now it has finally 2 arms.  I also had a run in orange for the main body today.. still printing but it looks cool already on the printingbed in our Dutch colors: orange ...

DSC_0787.JPG

DSC_0788.JPG

DSC_0786.JPG

I wonder if you could learn to find beauty in this technique? I suppose that assembled sheets of printed tin were always an imperfect compromise in reaching a finished toy. Is the charm of those merely nostalgia? Often, the effort made to overcome the flaws are what give an object life. I love the potential of 3D printing, but I've yet to see an object made that way that I absolutely needed to have. I admire the shapes and the idea, but the surface grit just screams out to me that it's not the real thing. Maybe smoothing would help, though I've looked that up and see you get to use acetone, which I recall from helping my parents make puppets in the seventies. You can feel your brain cells dissolving every time you unscrew the cap.

I wonder too if my dissatisfaction is an artifact of knowing the original. I'm looking forward to seeing Brian's efforts on that crazy movie robot. There was no tin reference for it. It's not impersonating another toy, so maybe that will provide the ladder out of that tin/3D print uncanny valley I keep falling into. 

I was just thinking about Marco's picnic box robot - that one seemed to avoid the problem in that I had no tin model in my mind to compare it to. I had seen pictures, but in that case it didn't seem to be an obstacle.

23 hours ago, David Kirk said:

I wonder if you could learn to find beauty in this technique? I suppose that assembled sheets of printed tin were always an imperfect compromise in reaching a finished toy. Is the charm of those merely nostalgia? Often, the effort made to overcome the flaws are what give an object life. I love the potential of 3D printing, but I've yet to see an object made that way that I absolutely needed to have. I admire the shapes and the idea, but the surface grit just screams out to me that it's not the real thing. Maybe smoothing would help, though I've looked that up and see you get to use acetone, which I recall from helping my parents make puppets in the seventies. You can feel your brain cells dissolving every time you unscrew the cap.

I wonder too if my dissatisfaction is an artifact of knowing the original. I'm looking forward to seeing Brian's efforts on that crazy movie robot. There was no tin reference for it. It's not impersonating another toy, so maybe that will provide the ladder out of that tin/3D print uncanny valley I keep falling into. 

I was just thinking about Marco's picnic box robot - that one seemed to avoid the problem in that I had no tin model in my mind to compare it to. I had seen pictures, but in that case it didn't seem to be an obstacle.

The mystery of making tin out of PLA plastic :)

Dont forget its the FUN to make this robot David... I have Mike but its not complete anymore, its in parts in a box.
I had him a couple of times and from the parts ( I miss the arms, antenna and an eye ) I am trying to create a complete robot again ( Ripped the arm of Chime T, its the same arm to scan :-)

I just want to have Tremendous Mike on my shelves and I will also make one in Orange, the PLA plastic colors are perfect to make this robot.
Yes, its no tin and will never look like tin... Aceton is not the way to go for me, first i dont like the shiny smooth surface and second, it will kill the few remaining briancells for  sure :)

Almost finished the head, main part is complete but for some reason I have problems with the eyes and nose as you can see :-) :-) So I have to work on that part :)
A new day to give it a try tomorrow... ( Mark.. Nasa... i DID manage to finish the eyebrows as you can see :)

More Demain.

DSC_0797.JPG

DSC_0798.JPG

DSC_0799.JPG

I think they eyes look perfect. I was thinking about how Brian was making Erie, and the seams he used to make printing quicker. I still think that may add something. Sometime when you're making one of these it would be fun to see the pieces separated as much as possible like the original, so that the hat and ears and eyes - every tin piece, as much as possible was represented by a similar 3D piece. Maybe they could snap together like pop-it beads or just positioned into slots oar holes and glued.

It's not so much that it's quicker, Marco,  it's mainly that the finish is superior when the detail is face up. The panels do indeed snap together in a very pleasing way.

I know that it's neat to be able to print a component in one go, but there are disadvantages. I don't mind the extra seams because I paint the robots. I just don't like a bare plastic finish.

David,
Like I explained before, the way i make my robots with 3D technology is totally different than Brian and John makes them.
Scanning a part is much more accurate, it leaves a 1:1 digital copy. Only the process is more difficult to make a good scan than drawing it.

The PRO's of 3D scanning is that it leaves a 100 % copy, exactly like the original part.
for many parts is close to impossible to draw them. Like Brian explained for example about the Trem Body to mention something.

The backside of scanning is that its a complex and time roving process, you need the original part ( so if you want to scan a diamond planet, you have to take it apart to scan seperate parts and the 3D files from a 3D Scan are hard to alter afterwards..

So its basicly a choice in creating something for the 3D printer.
I scan as much as possible parts because i want to have an exact copy of them, not something that looks like it but i want to have the exact copy in hand.
Parts that are hard to scan i draw in a Cad programm.

The whole process of scanning and printing has a steep learning curve and as well John as Brian know exactly what I am talking about.
making a leg or an arm for example is really much more than press a button and watch the arm to be ready on the printingboard..
I can not count the parts i made over and over and over again just as long trying to make them perfect.

I use 3 Ultimaker 2+ printers that are capable of printing in very high resolution.

whats the difference:  when Brian or John print an arm for lets say Tremendous mike, its build out of 600 layers. The ultimaker can do that in 1200 or even 1800 layers.
This gives the arm a much smoother surface and for some parts you can not even see the layers anymore..
Bad thing is that the printing takes MUCH longer and makes the robot and parts more expensive.

ALso a 3D scanned file can not be altered very well so builing in a digitally drawn batterycover is nearly impossible..
The files are simply to heavy and contain to much data, you need a super duper computer to load them and work with them... I know John worked with some of my files to test and he had the same problem... computer not strong enough although i also have some serious computers running and I think john as well.

a drawn file in cad from an arm will be about 3 MB in size... when you scan the same arm you will end up with 1 GB of data that you have to bring down to 60 -80 MB which is still insane for any cad program to work with...

so you see... just some things written down just to try to explain the process a bit...
Its fun to do, i have the time and I love to put things as close as i can to perfection... not quickly satisfied with the things I do... so i have to do them over and over again, just to get it the way i want it.... takes time, lots of time.

I dont think i ever learned so much as in the past 1.5 year since i started the whole 3D circus with the first 3D printed robot in our scene:  Tomy Giant Little Robot :)
from there things have gone crazy in the past 18 months and many good 3D printed robots and creations hit the market thanks to John and later on Brian as well...
How cool is this for the Hobby, I think its ULTRA cool :)

I hope to finish the Head of Trem Mike on Friday and complete the mock up, cant wait to see it finished :)

CHeers
Marco

Thanks so much for all that explaining. It actually sounds a little dreadful, but I suppose the advantage is that when you get it right you can repeat it. I ran into stuff like this when we were doing the Miss Spider TV show. I'd ask for what I thought sounded like simple things and somebody would have to explain to me why it would take twice as long and cost ten times as much. What is the resolution of the T Mike you're making?

Archived