In the meantime in the Dutch Caves......

marco

Jeez...I did not had the time until today to go through all the posts... enough happend here and I see that 3D is stirring up the community even more and more.... thats COOL !

ah well,  it keeps the hobby alive...

I dont hope that anybody has bought a tremendous mike lately because you can find the following pics quite shocking than :-)
As a test and fore runner to Diamond Planet Robot, i seriously started to see if I can bring Tremendous Mike back to life with 3D technology.
The colors of the original robot are perfect to reproduce it because they are basic.. grey, red and blue.. and some dutch orange for the special version...

in fact...i just realized its my FIRST Japanese Robot that i am going to make....Tremendous Mike in Grey and Orange  ( and i think it will look awesome in other colors as well :-)

I started with the hardest part, the body.  I learned a lot with the scanning process and it looks like i found the perfect settings now to scan, separate and print these heavy and large files.
as you know or maybe not, my approach to these projects is different..
17 hours printing time for only the body is serious time to print but I am MORE than happy with the first results... I first will build a socalled mockup to get it all 100 % perfect.
The robot will be clockwork powered with rotating antenna and sparking action but more about that later...

Here are some pics of the body I finished last week... oh and yes, its really 3D printed guys :)

Marco

DSC_0730.jpg

DSC_0731.jpg

DSC_0732.jpg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks very good Marco.  Nasa has just bought a real Tremendous Mike!

Ironic because less than 24 hours ago when talking about 3D printing it was brought up about the copying of japanese vintage robots in 3D printing.  (It not being a good thing,and especially if accurate!)  I said I could not think of one that had been made as of yet.....and the next day.....it's here!!  

That's very accurate work.  It would be extremely hard to do just using a CAD program.

Lucky owners of a tin original need have no concerns. If anything the attention will push up the value.

1 hour ago, Ranger said:

That looks very good Marco.  Nasa has just bought a real Tremendous Mike!

Ironic because less than 24 hours ago when talking about 3D printing it was brought up about the copying of japanese vintage robots in 3D printing.  (It not being a good thing,and especially if accurate!)  I said I could not think of one that had been made as of yet.....and the next day.....it's here!!  

Thanks Paul,  Yes Nasa told me he found one, really a very nice one to say.
reading through all the posts i saw indeed the part about the japanese robots and the copy of those... yes I believe this will be the very first Japanese one to be copied in 3D...:-)
funny ! :)

Going to work on the arms tomorrow and the head later this week.

Cheers
marco

1 hour ago, Brian.. said:

That's very accurate work.  It would be extremely hard to do just using a CAD program.

Lucky owners of a tin original need have no concerns. If anything the attention will push up the value.

Thanks, yes its 100 % accurate and it would be indeed extremely hard to draw it...not impossible but to "catch" the vintage details would be very hard...
every time I see such a "tech wonder " in 3D on my screen, my heart beats a few pulses higher.. its really cool to do...

Oh and I also thought i was looking at the erie prototype the first time I saw your creation.. my compliments !

Marco

52 minutes ago, robert said:

So far, so good! 

Yep, tomorrow part 2: arms.. and they are not easy to print the way I want them to be.. i have seen that already... keep you posted..

1 hour ago, Sparkrobot said:

A real diamond... Or should I say swarovski crystal.:biggrin:

Will be the next one... diamond... ............:)

Archived