In the meantime in the Dutch Caves......

marco

24 minutes ago, Tinplate6 said:

Marco, it seems that the business of 3D printing is the only one where you can make friends and enemies at the same time.:biggrin:

Yes that is what it looks like :)

ah at least there IS something happing and going on.... for the good and for the bad, yes.....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13 minutes ago, marco said:

Yes that is what it looks like :)

ah at least there IS something happing and going on.... for the good and for the bad, yes.....

& for the ugly :  no repro.

Music of Sergio Leone in the back,

Yo Clint, time to feed the spaghettis of resin to the 3D printer.

Sound of bullets.....

8 minutes ago, nasa said:

Marcio I think it will be very difficult to reproduce his orignal eyebrows......

If Marco sings outta tune, I'll make sure he gets a little help from my friends

& yes, Know what you mean, the semi transparent see-through plastic of the eyes might be difficult to get to, but then again, it's much more "opaque" than the High Gear , Radical, Mystery Moon other similar red protruding eyes

DSC06491.JPG

DSC06490.JPG

DSC06489.JPG

Could you make the right sort of eyes with a vacuum-form and the a bottle of Tide, or some other product that comes in orange plastic? Is there any commercial source for plastic for vacuum-forms, or similar machines, if there are any?

I'll be curious to see what you end up with here. It seems to me, with the way the printing softens and roughens things, it might end up a bit like those ceramic robots people were making to satisfy robot customers who couldn't manage to get the real thing in the eighties. A problem with 3D versions of metal robots is that they'll be sort of the same but maybe never quite as good. Maybe you could make something special to set it apart so it needn't compete, a new head?

In the "misty" mountains... ehhh caves.. it was red robot arm day today... ( reminds me of red robot day...2017 that i still have to arrange :) 

THe pics are useful Xris, the robot is progressing slowly but i have learned to be patient with these projects.. have to, even with 3 printers running, it takes time to prototype, test and learn :)

Mark, the eyebrows..you mean the blue part of the face ?

Martijn... ola .... yes windup and yes, impossible and yes i will find a way from the left or from the right..

David....yes i can make them but I am not sure if that makes a difference for this project... the robot is all 3D printed so only making the eyes in a different way, I dont think that will ad much.
My projects differ from the ones that John and Brian do. For this robot, all the parts are direct 3D scans from the original parts.  This way they look exactly like the original part, only its made in plastic instead of tin.
To be honest, its somethimes scary to see a part coming from the printer when it looks 100 % the same as the original.

Here below you see the progress in this Tremendous Mike Project.. for me... so far so good :) 

Today I had somehow a fight to make the arm and the bold ( do you call it that ) 
The arm was relative easy to catch in 3D but the bold was a different story.. its small and its the same from all sides and that is something the scanning software does not like...
It stitches all the files in the wrong way because they are all the same... found a solution for this problem now.. just scan an other object along and cut it away digitally later. :-) simple in the end.

Ok, I managed to print ONE arm in red today ( almost 5 hours of printing for one arm in high res )
I also found the correct red plastic to make the screen.... costed me 3 hours of walking through the city to find a fitting solution..the red transperant gel comes from a fly catcher... ah... i wont bother you with it...
it the correct red and with a paintstripper I could get it in the correct shape...

Tomorrow I will make the other arm and start to work on the head.. a new challenge...

Ciao... Marco

DSC_0783.JPG

DSC_0784.JPG

What you've got here already looks better than what I imagined was possible. The arms certainly liven the thing up. One of the things about tin that's appealing is the way the parts are assembled. There's always that clean line between pieces and just some magic in the assembled parts. I wonder if you made it in sections so that the chrome parts and the chest piece fit on as separate pieces, if that would add anything? I was wondering too if you can smooth this stuff out. Can it be sanded? What do you start with, as far as material? Is it goo in bottles, or something like the tubes that they make with hot glue? I'm starting to see 3D printers everywhere. There's one at my local Barnes and Noble. My little country library has one sometimes, but the examples of what they show you  can make are just awful. You guys who have been experimenting with them are taking it to limits I haven't seen.

Another question: Once you've scanned them into a program, can you adjust size or proportion in the way you can with photoshop, for instance?

David did you see the little giant robot marco made? Scanned from my tomy giant, it is the same robot...only little, quite confusing when I saw it first time.

its looking good Topo! Still amazes me that all this is possible, seeing a vintage robot made layer by layer, magic of the new era!!

Yes, Martijn, that looks like a fine job too. This will be an incredible opportunity to design new robots. I can't wait to see more of those.

Those lines are embedded thoughout the entire piece

literally layer upon layer so there's no sanding that away

One of the Mrs Radicons I primed & sanded heavily which helped

If you were to say do 3-4 coats of primer with sanding in between 

you'd mitigate much of the line effect & have way smoother looking appearance

You can see this on youtube

Downside is it's labor intensive & time consuming 

& not likely anyone wants to pay for all that extra labor 

Let alone a builder investing that time & effort for minimal return

Has anybody made mixed media robots with parts of 3D printing and other bits - say glass or molded plastic or metal? I probably haven't been paying enough attention to that. I also heard tell of hi-rez printers that leave little texture. Does anybody know of those? Can you supply the digital architecture to somebody who has the scanner and then buy the parts?

No Ranger, I don't see that in my future anytime soon. I need a few more hit books so I can retire. Even then, I think I might rather paint pretty girls.

Archived