In the meantime in the Dutch Caves......

marco

Fantastic work Marco - incredible what you were able to do !

I prefer the originals

however, your work and all the other 3D artists here have a lot of potential and open up a complete new area of collecting

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, gernot said:

Fantastic work Marco - incredible what you were able to do !

I prefer the originals

however, your work and all the other 3D artists here have a lot of potential and open up a complete new area of collecting

Thanks Gernot,

I could not agree more... I prefer the original ones as well :)
However.. the changes of finding a perfect original one are not that big, not even to mention the price for an original one..
In the meantime the "gaps" on the shelves can be filled using this technique :)

The reason, and that goes for most of my creations, is that i want to have an example of a certain robot on my shelves in my collection. that is why i make them in the first place..
So there are an orange and grey Tremendous Mike on my shelves now.. waiting for an original one to pass by :)... can take a while and in the meantime... the shelves shine brightly with the 3D mikes :)

Its fun to do this gernot and its cool to build a few of these.. not to much.. I quote John in this..." Its crazy fun to create and build a robot but when you have to repeat that a couple of times, its time to move on to a next project.
I will build some up and will make a few collectors happy with the robots..In fact the interest is bigger than i expected so I will be repeating myself for the next weeks i guess :)

I almost finished a different color variation, that is the nice thing about this 3D printing.. you can also create the robots in different color schemes... I have to feed Xris with his VARIATIONS hahahahaha

Let me know when you have time for " Red Robot Day 2017"   ( for the US listeners amoung us, that is the EUROPEAN BOTSTOCK :) 
Lets Pin a date and lets meet here in the Dutch Caves... will be fun for sure !

CHeers
Mike   ( ehhh Marco :-)

Short update from the Caves...

Still waiting for the boxes to arrive, hopefully today....

I completed a color variation of Mike in Blue.
will be a run of 10 pieces max !

Marco

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

DSC_0070.JPG

Yeps.. Turned out great in Blue... working on a Green one this weekend.. with yellow arms.. somehow kinky and even more for the next one in Pink .....

Today, the Grey and Orange ones are officially launched and available.
The color variations will be available later this month... have to figure out some different colors first...

Tremendous Mike 3D Printed Robot in Grey and Orange. ( limited to 25 pieces in grey and 25 pieces in orange ): 399 USD + 39 USD for Shipping worldwide with tracking and insurance.
Battery operated with Mystery bump & go action, swinging arms, Holographic logo light and revolving antenna with custom made original box.

Here are the final pictures of the grey and orange mikes...
More on my website..
have all a great weekend

Marco

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

As for all robots there must of course be some special editions.
when Xris requested a windup version for Tremendous Mike it was easier said that done..

I was happy i found a perfect mystery bump and go mechanism to get Mike going on batteries but Xris his question got me thinking.
Last week I had some spare time between the runs to do some testing with a clockwork motor for Mike.
Of course the solution was more "simple" than expected and it always turns out totally different that i had in mind...

I connected a windup mechanism horizontal on the mystery bump and go drivetrain, added the correct gears et.. voila...World's FIRST ! 3D printed clockwork mystery bump and go robot is a fact :) ! He even works way better than I could ever have dreamed of... 

Even better is that the motor is strong enough to drive the antenna as well and the switch for the holographic lighted logo which...is still powered by batteries :-)

I made the windup version exclusive only for XRIS and made a second one for myself..
Tremendous Mike will only be available as battery operated robot.

The platform i made now is useful for my next project: Diamond Planet Robot.......

Here is a short video of Clockwork Mike in action.

Cheers
Marco

• 1 month later...

In the meantime in the dutch caves....

For my next project i had to create some new arms. 
In this project i want to take the 3D Robots to a next level. Going to experiment with high end finish for the parts.
that means, sanding, grounding, sanding, airbrush, sanding and so on...
The PLA ( the plastic that is mostly used to make these robots ) is very friendly to sanding and painting.
Handpainting is still for the details but these arms are sanded, grounded and airbrushed in 2 layers and than finished in blank coating.

The arm is printed in high resolution so that the lining is already minimal. First tests look good... not even recognizable as a 3D printed part :)

More to come...

18156508_1448876138468056_706593853724068861_o.jpg

46 minutes ago, Sparkrobot said:

Marco you could 'set the bar' for All future 3D builds.

Brian, Get sanding.

Joke.:biggrin:

LOL  ! .... 
and you havent seen the rest yet ! :-)

Yes the arm turned out very well and can be used in different forms for future projects.
also Mikes body is perfect to use for different project, have some nice ideas on the shelves.

The Windup Mechanism is in fact a mixture of several mechanisms. 
I had no intention to make mike windup but Xris really wanted an orange windup so I puzzled as long as needed to make a working mechanism
that drives the robot with windup and can also trigger electrical systems inside the robot.

The bump and go mechanism made from parts and gears and on top of that I mounted a clockwork from a repro sparky.
Surprisingly the clockwork was strong enough to power this drivetrain.
I had to change some gears to find the perfect speed.

In the pictures you see the first prototype of this mechanism I made.
Its in fact a strange mechanism because the clockwork is used horizontal. Never thought of that in the beginning because i wanted to use the key hole at the right side of the robots body but that was
nearly impossible to do, to much gears that loose to much power.
Than I Thought...oh, why not tilt the mech 90 degrees and use it horizontal. only offer i had to make is that the robot has to be wound up from the bottom...

Its a good combination of gears and parts that can be used on other projects as well.

Cheers
Marco

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I dont know for what reason but KO`s Atom Robots seems to loose their arms quite often.
Over the years I collected some of these Atoms with the same handicap: Missing Arms.

When I found them again last week in a box I decided it was time to help these poor basterds and it drove me to the drawing table to redesign their arms.
Now is 3D printing not only cool to create complete robots but its more and more helpful to complete incomplete robots again.

Here is the result of a day of Cad Drawing, printing and handpainting... First one is complete again with some fresh new arms :)

If you have a similar Atom Robot with the same handicap, let me know,  I will print you some new arms for your robot :)

Marco

DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0195.JPG

• 2 months later...

Vacation is always a good time to think things over...
France this year so no robots, I missed Italy and that brought me on this idea.. Attacking Topolino.

Like always the mixing of the paint to get the correct blue color but also the hand painting was really a pain in the topo ass, jeezzzz

The head is a direct scan of the original topolino head, than printed in high resolution, groundpainted and airbrushed in the same blue as the rest of the robot.
Details are handpainted. The ears and nose I made in Fusion 360 and than printed in yellow.

3D printing in the mix with tin robots... I think a golden combination :-)
I made a Jalisco robot in red some time ago, this attacking topolino is the next one in the series.
Now lets focus on a head for a green one ! :)

Here are some pics of attacking Topolino.

Cheers
Marco

DSC_0741.JPG

DSC_0742.JPG

DSC_0743.JPG

DSC_0744.JPG

DSC_0745.JPG

DSC_0746.JPG

DSC_0747.JPG

DSC_0748.JPG

Archived