How Early ...is Early

roboz

robot1.jpg

Ebay # 3122394092 ....This isn't a bad take on Lilliput considering 1928 publishing year ...so is this blocky design among the first interpretations of what a robot should resemble ? How far back can the "drome" uncover early robot illustrations ? Free prize to anyone that can get pre-industrial revolution ! DaVinci excluded as I wouldn't be surprised if he had some wild sketch (although I'd still like to see it) :lol:

Edward Ellis first came up with the Steam Man story in 1865... That same year, 1865, James Brainerd elaborated on it... So this backs up the timeline by almost 20 years.

post-2-1047930700_thumb.jpg

Wow Pretty cool guys....Let's have a defined answer as to what appx year/ period would be considered pre-industrial era. I'm thinking 1810 perhaps or prior ? What's the consensus ??

I learned and have always thought that the "Industrial Revolution" began with the advent of mass-production techniques (i.e. the invention of assembly lines & interchangeable parts) which date to the late 18th and early 19th centuries. So your 1810 approximation is not far off---"pre industrial" would definitely be earlier.

;)

OK just for fun..If anyone comes up with a Legitimate pre-industrial revolution robot illustration & some text to go along with it I will reward with an easily "repairable" JT brown thunder ....You cover shipping only ! ( $39.99 ) just kidding shipping usually around 12 bucks....this is just an excercise to delve into human psyche, driven strictly by imagination of the times. Again Da Vinci Excluded ...& you will also have the satisfaction of finding the earliest conception of a robot...Humanoid Type appearance required...A mechanical contraption doesn't qualify ..Good Luck !

Archived