Changing Prince Project

roboz

This is still more or less a pipe dream however 

still plugging away at it 

Leaning towards using a smoker as a donor chassis 

The overall robot is probably a bit taller than the smoker but that can be compensated for 

with the body & having batteries in the legs helps with balance 

My instincts tells me the prototype in the museum is non functional 

but so far i can envision a new version of the robot walking & head splitting open but the head inside just constantly spinning 

So mechanical savants please chime in if this can possibly be set up to walk , stop , head splits open , shows the face

walks again , stops , head opens again & the other side is revealed 

Seems like an engineering feet to me , I'd have as much success at figuring out FTL travel :wacko:

CP2.jpg

CP3.jpg

Hey Oz,

Like I told you before, I have been working on this project for a while.
I started the other way around. I have the ideas and schematics for the mechanism figured out.

walking, opening head, kaleidoscope lights and face show up at 180 degrees rotation every time the doors open up. 

My idea is based on an existing robot and I strongly believe that the prince was made on this platform as well.
Even better, I already have the mechanism for the Prince ready :) There is only one adjustment needed for the rotating head at 180 and 360 degrees function.
This solution is however simple to add to this mechanism.

I see that I dont need to draw the files for the prince anymore, only need to adjust them ! hahahaha.

Cheers

Marco

DSC_0492.JPG

DSC_0493.JPG

A fascinating project. Any guesses about Marco's donor robot? Dino obviously has part of the action.  I don't recall seeing that mechanism before and can't work out what it does.

I'm not surprised you're both working on it. With the new technology an iconic piece like this is going to be recreated many times over. I think that John's example of using stepper motors will solve the problem of the head mechanism - the jerky action is what they do best.   I prefer the approach of building from scratch so that you don't need to source mechanisms. This would also keep the cost down considerably.

The head will presumably be sculpted in clay then cast from a mold - unless Mr Kitahara lets you scan the original.

One to watch, gents.

I don't know the mechanism shown,

Marco will have to chime in

I forgot about these cheaper dino's as a source 

of head opening mechanisms  DINO BOT

My goal is to not re-invent the wheel w/respects to mechanism / action

Who knows if that's possible ?

As you get deeper into these projects at least from my perspective 

you realize that prototypes can be improved upon without sacrificing the essence of the toy

For instance you can add rivets making it easier to paint & they line up symmetrically  

or you can try to duplicate the hap hazard nature of the hand painted prototype 

Some collectors may like the charm of the faithful original but to duplicate it 100%

might not be feasible or practical 

Also in the attached pic you realize how large this robot is 

on the scale of a mr mercury appx So IMO the smoker serves as a good stable platform

The nice thing is that members here can provide input , suggestions , ideas etc 

changing prince.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress , was lucky to get the exact dimensions , haven't decided on the head 

may be sculpted & a mold 

also the name may change , suggestions ?

Goal is to have a complete body mock up printed soon & then address the actions , mechanism etc 

Thanks Robert on the smoker , has been very helpful ! 👍🏻

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

• 2 months later...

Still alive ( the project ....& me I suppose )

Some of you may know I had a few hospital stays since February due to some kidney issues

so this project has been delayed however some progress still made & hopefully will accelerate in the coming weeks 

The leg mockups were just to scale to the donor Smoker Robert was kind enough to send me 

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 3:02 PM, Sparkrobot said:

Another great 3D project.

Hope you are feeling better.

Thanks Spark making some progress , if this ever gets completed I'll focus on simple tiny pin walkers or

something WAY less complicated If any thing at all ! :wacko:

Wow !!!!  Looks great--Glad you are feeling better too. I am not familiar with this robot , but it is a really cool design

• 1 month later...

Looking good, Oz.

It's the mechanism that's the real killer. Using existing geared electric motors I'm hard pushed just to get walking legs and moving arms. Anything more than that is going to be very difficult. Good luck!

Thanks Brian , not alone on the mechanics so hoping that gets figured out 

the head is a challenge , leaning towards a clay model , & silcone mold 

Archived