Mechanical Man 1921 Project

Brian..

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine finally arrived. It took a while because I got notice that the zip code was wrong. I thought "oops, Brian made a boo boo." But when it arrived, everything was correct, including the zip code. So the post office screwed up and tried to pass it along on the sender. Needless to say, this little guy got bounced around Buffalo the last few days. But he did make it and it's fantastic. Thanks Brian for such a wonderful addition to my collection.

MechanicalMan.jpg

• Brian.. changed the title to Mechanical Man 1921 Project
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, part of my research. It's hard to get good clear images from the 1921 film. The poster artist had the same problem, but didn't worry too much about accuracy.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

For those of you interested, I wrote an article on L'Uomo Meccanico a few months back.  I was dismayed at all of the inaccurate information there was about the film, so I did several months worth of research, working with film museums in Italy, in an attempt to provide an accurate summary of this ground-breaking film.  

https://www.academia.edu/36927937/LUomo_Meccanico_The_Mechanical_Man_The_Nearly_Lost_Story_of_Cinemas_First_Dueling_Robots

Note that the copy of the film in Italy is a good bit clearer than the versions available on youtube.  However, there appear to be no plans to release a better version of the film any time soon.

BTW, the 3-D printed robot looks excellent.  Wish I could afford one.  :)

MechMan02.jpg

Welcome to the board, jharvat. I have a soft spot for that wonderful old robot. Thanks for your explanation of the film's plot. The photo you have added is better than any that I had access to. I can see already that there are design details that I missed. 

I like to think that robot costume is gathering dust in some old barn in Italy.  Hope it turns up some day.  Not sure if they'll ever discover any of the missing parts of the film but you never know whether it is sitting, mislabeled, in a film archive somewhere.  

The Bologna film museum provided me with a digital print of the film and it is considerably clearer than what is available on youtube.  However, the restoration was done more than 25 years ago and I'm betting the latest software would improve it even more.  Wish I could share it but they actually made me sign documents saying that the copy was for research purposes only.  I asked them whether they planned to re-release the film on DVD but there doesn't seem to be much interest.

Archived