Boxes - A question

Red Dwarf

Hi, being in Australia there is no place that I can see or handle robots , no  museums ,vintage toy stores or friends collections so all my information comes from books and the Internet. So when I received a first generation Attacking Martian in the mail I was surprised that the box lid was made from glossy cardboard , is that correct ? All my other boxes are made from matt card stock. Thanks for any help or information.

I would like to take this opportunity

to wish everyone a very merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year !

Hi Red Dwarf, great to read a post from someone also in Australia. My experience is that the surface of robot boxes may be either gloss, semi-gloss, or matte. I have an original Attacking Martian box and it has a glossy surface. Hope this helps.

Hello Red Dwarf,

yes a picture would be always helpful. But please don't worry, the regular Attacking Martian boxes are always glossy, as

most of the Horikawa boxes have more or less glossy box lids. With a magnifying glass you can see, if the lid was really printed - or just ink copied.

The inside (cardboard, cuts, fold lines, smell, tabs) should give you more hints. And last not least  > take a deep

breath from the inside. (But be careful - sometimes original boxes do not smell funny! :biggrin: )

The Attacking Martian box for the lighted eye version ( in the middle ) is a bit less glossy than the others.

Attacking Boxes.JPG

Thanks much appreciated .

I was a little concerned as my fighting robot box is semi gloss. So it's possible that could be a original pricetag ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The original price tag looks to be the price these were when new.  From what I understand, car repair garages would sell tin toys like this around Christmastime in the event you needed a last-minute gift for a kid on the way home.  Just a guess, that bottom # could be the order number for that toy to replenish stock.  Is that grease-pen pricing? That was used a lot through to the early '70s by stores before the UPC code became popular especially at corner stores.  Boxes are a collectible unto themselves however they do take up space.  99% of mine are boxed and I love the artwork.

• Brian.. changed the title to Boxes - A question

Archived