Walking Robot mechanism

Brian..

It's been nagging at me for weeks, how to make a robot that can walk properly. The pin foot mechanism is simple but it's rather basic. I just had to get a proper walker. Once I have a good, reliable chassis I can build the robot around it.

It was slightly harder than I thought. :eeek: It had to be repeatable, simple to assemble (no fiddly springs) and based on cheap components like 25mm pins. So I dismantled a cheapo reproduction wind up robot and shamelessly copied the mechanism. These repros have two metal struts in the legs with an outer casing. But it's possible to simplify the design and use just one strut - all the later Horikawas do this.  Finally I replaced the motor with a battery driven affair that's even cheaper and more reliable.  It runs off a single AA cell which seems to produce enough power for a basic walk. After weeks of sweating and prodding I ended up with Mr Wobbly, the Inebriated Robot. It amused the family no end: (none of the components are from the repro robot - they've all been printed)

Many hours of tweaking, effing and blinding later I present Mr Tee-Total, the AA Robot. The battery position is lower, the parts have been tightened up and extra rings have been added to the feet.

And the bonus is that because I based it on a clockwork version I can replace the battery op motor with a wind up one in a matter of seconds.

If I still owe you a Scoops, then at least you know why. :sorry:

Hee hee, Andy. Why reinvent the wheel?  (a British invention - I have it on good authority from a man in the pub).

Yes, Brady, this is the start of the master plan. World domination. I have serious doubts if it will balance and if one battery will be enough to make it move. But it's enormous fun.

What is it? Ahhh, that would be telling.

Archived