Green Plasticraft Rocket Car

Tinman

New addition to my collection and something I haven't seen before...a green Plasticraft Rocket Car; the use of the word "satellite" tells me it's a later piece, but it's only a guess.  Has anyone seen a green one before?

Auction pics...I'll post better ones once it arrives:

Green Plasticraft (1).jpg

Green Plasticraft (2).jpg

Green Plasticraft (7).jpg

Green Plasticraft (8).jpg

Thanks Brian, it looks like a regular Rocket Car backing card is stapled to the top of the big card; if anyone has thoughts on how to flatten it out, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks Brian, I was thinking about ironing it between a couple t-shirts with a little steam...I'll give it a go once I receive it.  I'm really interested in seeing what this card looks like in-hand, from the pics it looks like the section that says "U.S. Satellite Cruiser" is stapled onto the lower section...so, a header card stapled to the "U.S. Satellite Cruiser" section, stapled to the larger portion.

As suspected the backer card is in rough shape but has Plasticraft markings...the Sputnik-like satellite graphic probably dates this to the late 60s.

IMG_8740.JPG

IMG_8742.JPG

IMG_8743.JPG

IMG_8745.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice pair!.   I especially appreciate the green axles - it gives it a nudge over the red version.

I like the mixed colors of the Renwals, Gilmarks, etc - that green piece is just smooth looking.  Kudos!

• 7 months later...

I won this yellow version just a few minutes ago!!! ( the shipping will be more than my winning bid :blush: ), but I'm still very happy with the total cost. I love the red and green versions but I'm thinking that yellow is the most common? 

s-l1600.jpg

• 2 months later...

Great item.  I am amazed that  1950's & 1960's era toys can be found with original packaging.  As a kid in the 1960's I ripped 'em open and never gave the packaging a second thought. :blub:

Thanks DM and welcome.  The red and yellow versions seem to sell for a lot less since the market was flooded by the New Jersey find.  This is still the only green version I've seen and I understand what you mean about the packaging, although this example is pretty rough.

The current display:

IMG_9450 - Copy.JPG

• 1 month later...

The World Toy House corporation took a lot of buy-outs of toys that they had supposedly "graded for creative play value and correct age grouping" and resold them to smaller retail outlets.  The broad scope of appropriateness for this toy's rating ("Best for School Age") makes it apparent that by this point they weren't putting a lot of thought into their categorizing (especially since most of their leftover repackaged toys found in old warehouses more recently carry a similar assignment).  In effect, they were a toy jobber using age guidance, supposed play value level, and implied child safety as their PR gimmicks.  The "St. Paul 1, Minnesota" address on the back makes it clear that your repack was sold to the public prior to the introduction of the Zip Code postal system in 1963, not later as you are surmising. 

It's a sharp-looking  toy, and it's the first green one that I have ever seen.  One more for the wantlist!

• 3 years later...