Space Giant isn't working!

ROBOHUNTER

I've got the Metalhouse Super Space Giant and just put some new batteries in it......................but nothing.   I'm sure I read somewhere that some modern batteries don't work on old toys but this is obviously a fairly new robot.

Does it do anything at all when you throw the switch?:dirtdog:, it seems not but please clarify so  We can help and I would like to know where it came from.

At the moment it's just totally dead.    I have had it working in the past about a year or two back and it's been carefully stored in it's box but at the moment lifeless.

Obviously it's made by Metal House in Japan but I'm in the UK and I bought it from a UK seller.   I've tried some value batteries which didn't work (mind you I'm sure they did work with it before) but now I'm using 3 Tesco own brand D Alkaline batteries.  Hope that helps!

Make sure the batteries are making a good firm contact with the terminals inside the battery compartment, perhaps give the terminals a rub over with fine abrasive paper. Can't be much wrong, have you tried the old trick of giving it a good slap or two while it's switched on, failing that is it possible to reach inside with a thin screwdriver or something similar to give the motor pinion a twirl. 

i have some MH robots and they work with all types of batteries even rechargeable they are powerful and light weight, Maybe try to move legs slowly, this also could make the gears move and give motor a little push, but don´t use to much force...may cause damage. 

cheers

Joao

Thanks I'll try all those but it's odd because there doesn't seem any life at all.   Unless some battery manufacturers have changed something lately?   I've noticed some batteries don't last more than a few days in my torch without going dim for instance and they're not really cheap batteries either.

I had some trouble in the past with a smoking spaceman robot and the only thing that i could see was the dimmed eyes and dome but no action, so i had to open it, and give it a push at the main gear with a screw driver and then started to work due to maybe too much time stopped.

Ok tried him again and beforehand I gave the terminal points a very slight scrape and moved his legs again and bingo.........it worked so it obviously wasn't the batteries.   I hope it continues to work but what could have caused that?  I remember someone on here saying before there's not much that can go wrong with them.   

I had the last two originals made by Metal House from 1979/82.  Over time and a few general runs they became sluggish, apparently the relatively huge weight of these 'bots along with the heavy Duracells I used in them those particular ones had a common tendency to strip the plastic gears over time.  I've not heard of many issues with these newer versions, just keep in mind that even new robots (as well as vintage) can have fits of non-operation from time to time.  Oddly enough, many of my Chinese and Hong Kong plastics from the  1980s'/'90s still function perfectly.  Just keep a small wooden prod at the ready!

Interesting points.   I've got a few older Chinese robots (the astronaut faced Space Explorer) and I haven't tried them for years.   If I can find them amongst all the boxes I'll give them a try.

As for the Space Giant now the 2 you have from 79 and 82 did they have the SH logo and the one piece or 2 piece heads?   I started a thread about this a year or so ago trying to find out if it was only the more recent Metalhouse Giants that had the 2 piece head?

In fact Morbius I'm going to resurrect that old thread because it was a bit inconclusive.  Be interesting to see if there's any new info about.

• Brian.. changed the title to Space Giant isn't working!

Archived