Granatoid Robot Project

Brian..

Thanks again guy's , I just love these classic Anderson and B movie robots Brian is making now. I think he will make some very nice pieces, never been made before (so far as we know) like the granatoid and humanoid. What's not to like eh, they take me back in time. I look at these type of robots like am 7 years old all over again!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might find this informative. It's a a photo that outlines the stages I've gone through to improve this robot. Basically I experimented with printers, plastic filament and scale.

1 Initial test shot, small scale. Paul got the initial large-scale version.

2 Printed on the Flashforge Dreamer with cheap plastic filament - horrible crappy result. Don't buy cheap plastic!!!!!! It was printed vertically which produces those unsightly lines between the rivets.

3 Flashforge with high quality plastic. Much better but faulty joints and some stringiness. It will respond to light sanding and a paint finish. it's such a great press-and-forget printer. It was printed horizontally and the lines have disappeared, though the rivets are a bit vague.

4 Prusa printer with good filament . Lovely! This is the Granatoid version2 - the guy sitting down in the episode. He's also an armed guard in another episode. Sharp rivets that look like I've just added them individually.

5 Prusa, good filament, the final version. Great detail, great finish. And there are still two higher resolution settings available (but the print time is interminable). I'll go with this once I improve that mouth and fine-tune the joints.

This new machine gives lovely results but it's temperamental and I'm still learning the tricks.

I wonder what color would do these justice? The bare plastic is just fine, but I always like to add a bit of life. On TV they're always silver - it photographs well but is a bit boring if they're all the same color. No more chrome, though. That was a one-off error.:lecture:

granatoids.JPG

Here are some more variations of the Granatoid: 

The Prosecutor with two antennas, a head spike and lots of knobs.

The Juryman, looking like a 1930s radio set

The Armed Guard, with a lovely big space rifle.

Supercar Robot 15 Version with raygun

Waste not, want not!

prosecutor12.jpg

juryman 1.jpg

guard4.jpg

ad.jpg

These robots are well up there already as some of favourites. The finish you are getting is very sharp with your new printer Brian...looking great. Keep 'em coming...top quality classic robots at a very reasonable price..what could be better. :thumbs:

Looking forwards to adding many of your creations on the shelves along with Johns robots.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Brian.. changed the title to Granatoid Robot Project

Archived